Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hyacinth bean

Posted by shillanorth 4A (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 2:52

Anybody growing this and how does it behave in northern regions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hyacinth bean

I grew it when I lived in Colo. But it was an annual. Did great tho. Have a friend in Ohio and she grows it there.

o

I save the seed of Dolichos labab from year to year. Easy to grow, and the seed pods are as much a feature of its beauty as the flowers. Especially if positioned where the Sun is behind the vines.

o

I've grown it the past three summers and love the purple hues in the stems and leaves, flowers are lovely and the beans so sweet.

This past summer: started indoors, planted out first week in June (after frost danger has passed) into a pot - they require warmth (heat). Never did well in the ground, just sat all summer. By the end of September the ones in the pot had grown approx 12-15 feet in height. We had a strange summer with less heat than normal, so they did well. We typically have a killing frost mid to end of September if that gives you a timeline. Pods produced beans, but they were smaller than the purchased seed - probably needed more time to develop. I'm going to grow that seed next year to see if there's any difference from the store bought.

o

I just picked up a package of seeds today. I have grown them in the past and they did very well. I started in the house in peat pots and when the weather was warm enough I put them into a large container with a trellis. I have never eaten the beans I was under the assumption they are toxic.
Christine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here