Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bart_2010

moving a two-year old, rare wisteria

bart_2010
9 years ago

Looking at this forum, I sometimes wonder if there shouldn't be a forum just for wisteria. My question sort of relates to another thread, but the situation seems different enough to warrant a new thread.Here it is.
In the autumn of 2012, I planted a few wisterias which I had bought from a nursery in Pistoia,some of which rather rare. One of these is a W. sinensis "Amethyst" (NOT the more common W. frutescens "Amethyst Falls"; this is a sinensis which is supposed to have amethyst coloured flowers). I fear that I planted it in an uncongenial spot; it is growing much slower than it's fellows (W. sinensis,W. floribunda Macrobotrys,and W. sinensis "Prolific"),and I think this may well be due to the fact that it swamped by the thicket of native blackthorn growing at it's back. I did this assuming that wisteria is so strong that it could compete, but now I have doubts,since I've observed that in some areas of my property the soil is just so thin and poor that not even wisteria can flourish; I'm beginning to think that this particular spot is of this sort, and that the blackthorn has already taken possession of all the potential that the poor soil has. Now, my question is: would a young wisteria resent being moved? remember, peeps, it's not a common W. sinensis, it's a rarer type; might it be more delicate? should I risk moving it, or try to improve the existing conditions? must admit that I could see this latter strategy resulting only in much stronger blackthorn,,,any thoughts? bart

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area