Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
americanseeds

Crossvine seed questions / have seeds will trade

americanseeds
14 years ago

I have questions about and planting crossvine seeds and killing bugs that can hatch in some of the pods.

1) Do the seeds ever need to stratify (ie chill in the refrigerator) before germination? A few years ago I dried some seeds indoors over-the-winter and they sprouted the next spring without any stratification. Also, I found literature where crossvine seeds (apparantly unstratified) were planted at the Cumberland Gap Park:

http://www.plant-materials.nrcs.usda.gov/pubs/mdpmcpr5847.pdf

2) I have these nasty little worms hatching out in a few of my seed pods. When this happens I cull the wormy pods and pitch them in the trash. Mothballs should take care of this problem on the rest of my seed pods, but I'm a little concerned it could damage the seeds. Anybody know?

WILL TRADE SEEDS:

I have many native crossvine seed pods collected from sites in KY, TN, and VA. The KY variety has a deep crimson throat and bright yellow petals. I'd trade for yellow or red crossvine -- I have plenty of tangerine beauty already.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cumberland Gap Native Species Re-forestation Project

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County