Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebars

Morning Glories not shipped to Arizona

bluebars
16 years ago

I was curious why seed companies cannot ship to AZ, and read that the state of Arizona lists the Morning Glory as a prohibited noxious weed.

I'm not in Arizona, thank heavens, as I seem to have been bitten by the MG bug! But does that indicate that conditions in AZ are perfect for MG's or is there a particular strain that becomes invasive?

BlueBars

Comments (5)

• huachuma
    16 years ago

Bluebars,

I used to live in Tucson, and the word in the plant community was that the cotton industry was responsible for the ban. Supposedly, morning glory vines would become entangled in the "cotton-picking" machinery and cause great monetary hardship for the corporate farmers.

Whether this was just an urban-legend or not, I can't say. But, if it was the true reason, I think it was a very heavy handed ban. More likely invasive Convolvulus species, of which four types are commonly found in disturbed areas of Arizona, were the real culprits.

I spent 10 years exploring the flora of S.E. Arizona and never came across an escaped cultivated species of MG in my travels. That's not to say it couldn't happen, especially in riparian habitats where sufficient water is available year round...

There are over a dozen native species of Ipomoea present in Arizona, some perennial and some annual and some quite abundant in relatively moist areas. I'm hoping that the cotton industry was not targeting these species!

As for the ban, when I lived there I had my parents send me seeds from out of state. As far as I was concerned, such water intensive agriculture as cotton farming (not to mention the dozens of golf courses in Tuscon for the priveleged only) was a travesty in such an arid land. I had very little sympathy for such nonsense when the average citizen was asked to buy low flush toilets and use low-flow shower heads (not to say that these aren't prudent and worthwhile measures!).

Geez, I sound like a old grouch ;]

Mike

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

Yep I heard the same story as huachuma. I dont know why they cant be grown here. They act like they are some noxious weed or something when in fact they are one of the first things to die when we hit 115 or so. I know the seeds will last and grow again in spring though. I can think of quite a few other vines that are impossible to get rid of here in AZ. BTW the Lowe's by my house (in AZ)was selling flying saucer MGs earlier this spring lol!
    ~SJN

• opglefar_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I was born and raised in West Texas. Cotton was the major
    crop. Morning Glory seeds are legal in Texas. So why not in
    Arizona????
    I have lived in Az since 1976 and I see morning glory vines
    everywhere.
    I want Morning Glory vines!!! Legally)) Thanks

• emmagrace2
    12 years ago

As far as I understand, ALL members of Convolvulacea [the Morning Glory Family] can not be shipped to NM. It seems that 'someone' or 'group' decided that 'all' MGs grew and developed the same way.

The culprit is actually 'bindweed' that grows huge tubers under ground. and when the farmers plowed their fields, they would cut these tubers into a bazillion pieces resulting in a bazillion new 'bindweed' babies.

So, I too totally disagree with that law and think they should seriously amend it. Some annual MGs will re-seed such as Ipomoea purpurea. Ipomoea nils will rarely re-seed and when they do they are surely welcome as they are the larger blooming type of MG. Neither of these species have tuberous roots and when they do re-seed they are very easily removed

Maybe Philip or someone else with more facts can give the exact name of the 'bindweed' and any other pertinent information.

Emma

• emmagrace2
    12 years ago

CORRECTION:
    Meant to say shipped to AZ and not NM [sorry about that], also it is not ALL members of Convolvulaceae, but 'most' species of Ipomoea carnea and Ipomoea triloba are legal. Plus other MGs in other genera [That are usually very rare or very hard to locate]. Ipomoea are also legal such as Evolvulus; Hewittia; Jacqumonte; Merremia; Operculina; Porana; Stictocardia; Turbina; Xenostegia; Also there are Calystegia species [that are adapted to arid environments] that do not spread by underground rhizomes.

I would very much be interested to hear from "sultry_jasmine_night" and "Glennis Farmer" via private message regarding some of the other genera of Morning Glories that are legal to grow in AZ regarding being able to work with me and seed availability.
    Emma

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus