Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19699164

Morning Glory Picture Thread #2... Add Yours

User
14 years ago

Here is a new thread for our love of morning glories!! Feel free to add your photos and comments.

Cocoa Chocolate

{{gwi:1347560}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to first thread

Comments (76)

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

Nice flower photographs, Emma! Let me know if you need a volunteer to trial your blue/purple speckled Kikyo asagao (I want to be in THAT line LOL). I saw discussion of a blue speckled (dare I say this number?) Q751 strain on the Kyushu University BBS. It's cool you have one like it!

Joseph

• helena_z8_ms
    14 years ago

Thanks Ronnie, Emma and Joseph. I'll have gray star seeds for you Joseph, I really like your Miko no Mai.

Your pictures are really beautiful Emma and Joseph.

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Thanks Helena and Joseph,

Yes, Joseph.
    Of course you will get seeds from my blue/purple speckled Kikyo asagao, and will probably be the only one. I started these late in the year so don't expect to get many seeds, but you will for sure.

Helena,
    Could your noID possibly be Morning Storm?

Here is one of mine taken on a morning with a lot of moisture in the air

14 years ago

What a psychedelic flower pattern, Emma! Wow!

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Morning Storm
    regular blooms

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Ever Seen a Lilac Youjiro?

This is straight from a Japanese Commercial Seed Pack of Youjiro mix

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Another photo of Lilac Youjiro

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow Emma I love that one!

• helena_z8_ms
    14 years ago

Thanks Emma, I guess it's possible. Wow, awesome pictures Emma.

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Thanks Ronnie and Helena

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Ipomoea cordatotriloba Pink & White Forms

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

HUGE Beautiful Pink
    Very Large Blooms

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Another of my crosses
    Staying True year #2
    Nice Large Blooms that are a Purple Dusty Smoke color
    Haven't given this one a name yet.

• aker
    14 years ago

What beauties!! They make my day :-)

Aker

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Thank You Aker

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh I like the Purple Dusty Smoke one!!

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Thanks Ronnie,
    The Purple Dusty Smoke is really a great MG

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This beautiful surprise showed up the other day for me! I didn't plant it and never had a Nil seed that survived the winter. The only thing in that area I planted was early call. It sure is a mystery to me. There are a few buds on it and I am hoping for another pic.

{{gwi:1347594}}

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was going to rip down my purpureas this weekend but decided to wait after I saw the higes appear!!! I tagged them right away. Hoping my weather holds out and no early frost so I can get some seeds.
    {{gwi:1347595}}

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Ronnie -

Awesome Surprise MG.
    Very interesting that you got a volunteer this late in the season, but what a great MG. Looks like it has variegated leaves. Can you move it to a pot so it will grow for you this winter?

14 years ago

Here is a recent photo of Blue Silk (dark seed form...will soon see if it continues to make darke seeds).

{{gwi:308783}}

14 years ago

Here is one I grew last year, from seeds I got from Ronnie. It is a no-ID small flowered JMG with a reverse tube. I think the outtie tube flower is so cool looking.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nice ones Joseph..I like your Blue Silk!

14 years ago

Thanks, Ronnie.

14 years ago

I have had Scarlett O'Hara volunteer in the front garden the past couple of years. I let her run where she wants to, what a pretty red! I originally got them from a commercial packet (Livingston Seed Co. I think) at the local hardware store - I was a sucker for the pretty face shown on the seed packet. LOL

Here is Hatsushimo, which for the life of me looks quite like Fujishibori. Maybe Emma can tell the difference. This one seems to be just as stingy with making seeds...am happy just to get a couple so I can keep the line alive.

Joseph

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Joseph,

Holy Smokes!
    Is your SOH really that red ???
    It looks pretty close to the real thing to me. I would love to have some of your seeds if you still have any to share.

I can't tell the difference either between Hatsushimo and Fujishibori. Here is one of my Fujishibori blooms from this year.

14 years ago

I ought to have plenty of Scarlett O'Hara seeds from this year's crop. I have a bunch from last year, or should have...lemme check.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Joseph I would love a few of the SOH if you have enough...It's looks darker than the one I grew last year.

14 years ago

Emma, I think the differences between Hatsushimo and Fujishibori are in the color of fresh flowers; Hatsushimo is a true blue that fades a bit to purple, whereas Fujishibori I recall starts out purple, yes?

Here is a No-ID JMG that appears to be a vivid Rose Silk. I got a few seeds from it, and will check the vine this weekend to see if there are any more before putting that container to bed for the winter.

Joseph

14 years ago

Here is JMG Shikanoko, vivid red speckles densely packed together. It made a lot of flowers, but only a few seeds. Need to cross this speckled gene to a strain of Ipomoea nil that will make more seeds.

14 years ago

This is a No-ID I called Blue Ray I grew last year. The progeny gave rise to flower forms with less distinct rays for some people. Vive' biological variability!

14 years ago

I think my second favorite type of JMG behind speckled flowers are these reverse tube flower forms. Aren't they fantastic? I got this one from Ronnie (thank you!) and it was mainly white with a few blue flecks except for this vine that made a nice blue flower with white reverse tube.

• audrey_gw
    14 years ago

My morning glories didn't do well this year, due to a rather cool wet summer, except for September--which was too dry! But here are a few of the ones that did bloom for me. The possible Kikyosaki was interesting, as it was a pentagon shape that never opened completely, and the leaves were huge, much larger than for the other morning glories.

Fuji No Momo

Kikyosaki?

Sazanami

?

Blue Silk

14 years ago

Hi Audrey,

I enjoyed your JMG flower photos very much. I don't think the last one is Blue Silk. It is very nice however. If you have extra seeds of your Kikyosaki, would you be interested in seed trading with me? Your Fuji no Momo looks it made huge flowers, yes? It looks like it was wildly leaf-variegated too, with big leaves. Wow!

Joseph

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Joseph Beautiful as always!!

Audrey, I love your pics! The one you are calling Kikyosaki is nice, I like the color!

• audrey_gw
    14 years ago

Joseph and Ronnie,
    Thanks! I loved all the other photos on this thread too, which is why I tried to dig up a few of my own!

Now that I look more closely at that blue morning glory, it does seem to have spokes. So it may be Fuji no Sora instead. Although I do try to keep track of which morning glory I plant where, I never remember to keep track of which one I'm photographing. So I have to guess about that afterwards from the descriptions of the ones I planted.

Joseph, the Fuji no Momo may look larger than it actually was, because it is a very close-up photo. I seldom get seeds from the Japanese types but, if the Kikyosaki produces any, I'll let you know.

Here's another that had interesting color, but I have no idea what it is! So, if anybody has any ideas, I'll be happy to hear them.

• Polly Israel
    6 years ago

I want the deep blue with the verigated leaves ..I would like this one only

• Polly Israel
    6 years ago

I have other vines or I can buy

• dena_eft
    6 years ago

Joseph, is it time for you to grace us with your colorful treasures?

6 years ago

None have begun to bloom yet, Dena.

6 years ago

I posted many flower photos in a separate thread. Here is one.

• dena_eft
    6 years ago

Joseph, these MG's radiate beauty and bring joy to a cold winter day! :)

6 years ago

Thank you Dena.

• nicole___
    6 years ago

6 years ago

Nicole wow it is such a beautiful dark purple flower!

• Polly Israel
    6 years ago

I now have sprouts after soaking my seeds very very happy

• dena_eft
    6 years ago

I planted some, but didn't soak, and they haven't germinated.

• dena_eft
    6 years ago

Which ones did you plant? I found some on my neighbors sidewalk, and took a few. Can't resist a mg although I have a zillion. They are very common but pretty.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996