Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering Vines

Posted by ruthz 8a dfw texas (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 9:30

Do you overwinter Clitoria vines and Thunbergia vines inside?
I have a Double Blue, single white and double white clitoria vine that I need to decide if I'm going to overwinter them or just start new seed next year.
Last year I overwintered Blushing Susie. It bloomed some all winter and hasn't bloomed at all during the summer.
Is this normal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering Vines

Ruth, yes, I put my annual vines in the greenhouse. Clitoria is an annual. Thunbergia is a perennial vine in warmer climates, such as ours, but SOME can be annuals - which one do you grow?

If you decided NOT to take in your Clitorias, email me and we can trade - my vines died during all our rain and I'd like to have them again. I'm sure I have some tropicals you would like in trade.

o

I grow clitora as an annual. I over winter all my thunbergias except the alatas, which I also grow as annuals. They can all be wintered over under the right conditions. Blushing Susie & Salmon Shades, all the Black Eye Susan type vines are alatas. Except for T. Raspberry Smoothie, which is an alata but doesn't produce seed, they are so easy to grow as annuals. If you are going to winter them over I'd cut them back to promote new growth that won't shock due to the change in conditions when you move them.

o

Clitoria is, in fact, a tender perennial---I have one I've over-wintered indoors for several years. But yes, you can grow it as an annual.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here