Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Do You Kill Ivy?

Posted by KathyNC7a none (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 9:59

Sorry. I'm sure that this question has been asked before and I tried to find the answer in search but I got a gazillion hits and just don't have all day to read them all.

We recently moved into a new house and a fair 50% of our property is covered in ivy. It's a chore just to keep it "under control." We'd also like the space consumed by it to plant beneficial edibles like fruit trees and bushes, grain, etc.

Is there a way to get rid of this stuff? It appears to have been here for a very long time.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Do You Kill Ivy?

Depends how established it is.....but I would try digging it out and if it resprouts, spray it with round up brush killer....

o

Manual removal is really the only 100% effective method but it requires both considerable elbow grease and persistence.

English is a noxious weed in the PNW and its removal is highly encouraged. I've attached a link from a local agency that has excellent info as well as control suggestions.

ps. besides the obvious, another good reason for removing ivy is that it provides an excellent habitat for vermin......most specifically rats!

Here is a link that might be useful: English ivy control

o

Last fall I removed English ivy, lots of it, trying to get every sprig out of the yard. It had even crept halfway across the yard in spots. I just sat down on the ground and pulled it up, following the vines back to roots. Some of this ivy had been in place for probably 60 years. It came up easily. I think the ground was fairly soft from recent rains. I just used my hands, though I kept a trowel nearby to use if needed. Ended up with a pile in the alley about five feet high, ten feet long, and the city came out with a truck that had claws on a crane and they scooped it up. This year there has been no ivy except where it's trying to come back in from neighbors' yards. I pull up all intruders as soon as I see them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here