Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which morning glories DON'T re-seed?

Posted by aka_peggy Md6b (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 1, 06 at 10:16

I've grown "heavenly blue" for 30 yrs and never had a problem with it re-seeding. Two yrs ago, I decided to grow Grandpa Ott on my veggie garden fence. Read...3 PLANTS! That rascal re-seeded at an alarming rate last year!! Terrified at the potential of them taking over my vegetable garden, I pulled every seedling I could find and don't believe a single plant produced seed. This year I had the same problem. Again, I've pulled 1000's of seedlings but they just keep coming. I even laid newspaper in some areas and mulched over it. It didn't stop em!

The only ones that don't get pulled are the ones that are hiding among my beans. Who says MG's won't flower in shade!! I have to go out every morning and search for the flowers so I can pull them. Such a shame too cause they ARE pretty. Now I'm terrified to grow any of the other beauties I see.

So which morning glories don't re-seed? I wouldn't mind if they re-seed a little but not to the point of becoming a chore....more like a "job" in the case of Grandpa Ott.

Thanx~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which morning glories DON'T re-seed?

aka_peggy - There are some MG's that will not be prolific re-seeders

The double Ipomoea nil types rarely produce alot of seeds as the stamen and pistil turn into petals and you already stated that you haven't had a problem with Ipomoea tricolor...some of the other I.tricolor cultivars in addition to Heavenly Blue are the Flying Saucers,Blue Star,Pearly Gates and Wedding Bells...

Ipomoea indica is usually clonal and won't produce seeds if your plant is from clonal stock...

The following MG's should not successfully self re-sow in your zone

Evolvulus glomeratus
Ipomoea adenioides
Ipomoea alba
Ipomoea albivenia
Ipomoea cairica
Ipomoea carnea
Ipomoea cardiophylla
Ipomoea lindheimeri
Ipomoea lobata
Ipomoea longifolia
Ipomoea macrorhiza
Ipomoea muelleri
Ipomoea pandurata is often self-incompatible
Ipomoea turbinata
Ipomoea ochracea
Ipomoea setosa
Ipomoea ternifolia var.leptotoma
Ipomoea wrightii
Jacquemontia pringlei
Merremia aegyptia
Merremia dissecta
Operculina brownii
Turbina corymbosa

There are some commercial sources as well as merchants on e-bay who periodically have seeds of the above species...

Hope that helps...

TTY,...

Ron

P.S. - scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the flower photo link for the perennial bush type MG Ipomoea adenioides

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipomoea adenioides in the PlantFiles

o

Thank you Ron, I'll google a search on those and see what they look like. I had the hardest time getting my heavenly blues to germinate this spring while Grandpa Ott is effortlessly trying to take over the world.

I see you live in Netcong. Nice area! DH works for a small company that's based in Stanhope. His boss lives in Hoptacong. We go up that way frequently for short business stays and I always enjoy it..

o

i know for a fact that some morning glories just throw runners every where.. no seeds just runners. they bloom in clusters of three very pretty large blooms.. i have never seen seeds.. just runners that you can not get rid of..i have been trying for at least 10 years ..i pulled tons of rope-like runners from around my house, threw them bhind my barn. well guess what..they are blooming on top of my barn..HELP

o

gloria_j - Do the flowers in the link below look like the vine that you have on your garage(?)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipomoea indica flowers and leaves in the PlantFiles

o

Below are several commonly available convolvulus species which can live in containers and aren't outrageous reseeders or spreaders. The first one is an annual, and the other two are tender perennials which cannot survive a winter outdoors in your zone. Perhaps one of these is the one you were thinking of.

Convolvulus tricolor "Blue Ensign". This species is available in several other colors as well.

Convolvulus cneorum "Bush Morning Glory"

Convolvulus mauritanicus "Ground Morning Glory"

o
disregard the above post

Edit: disregard the above post. I posted on the wrong thread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here