Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerris2

Off Topic Photos - Plants Growing Amongst MG Vine Garden

I am growing a very lovely Canna that has lime green with dark narrow lines going lengthwise down the leaf. The flower is a big orange one and I am enjoying it very much. One morning I looked out and saw the head on a flower spike (see below) that looked like a human hand. Isn't that the weirdest thing LOL?

Joseph

Comments (13)

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Lol It is giving you the new peace sign my kids do to each other....

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

That's neat Joseph!! Do you grow any other Cannas? I have quite a few, another of my favorites!!

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I do not have any others, Ronnie, this year. I have grown a basic lime green leaf one that had red flowers in the past. I like the variegated foliage forms - do the variegated leaf forms come true from seeds, do you know?

Original Author
    14 years ago

I like growing Salvias in the MG garden...they really bring in the hummingbirds. This Salvia splendens just started flowering. I am in awe of its deep red color.

Joseph

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

Wow I love that red...

I haven't done seeds from the variegated ones Joseph so I'm not sure...I will probably have extra bulbs come digging time if you want some. They store real easy in a cool basement or attic.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Ronnie,

I could try a Canna bulb if you have an extra. Thanks!

I got some photos before the rains that are promised to start later on in the day.

Here is Salvia leucantha, which has a common name of Mexican Bush Sage, or even more appropriately Velvet Sage. It flowers late in the summer and is one for folks who like fuzzy flowers. I got this plant as a 2 inch herb transplant and it now is maybe 4 feet tall and maybe that dimension wide.

Here it is, a little closer.

We have a Chrysanthemum I got in a plant trade years ago, growing in a container on the deck. It is good to have these other plants about since late in the summer the JMG vines are pretty much over.

This neon pink zinnia grew out of a pollinator seed mix. I will have to save seeds from it if the birds don't get them first.

This Salvia guaranitica is a fave nectar source for our hummingbirds. It is winter hardy in Delaware. Alas, the hummingbirds are not, and have gone south for the winter now.

My daughter, Rachel, grew a couple zinnias, Candycane and also Green Envy, which has flowers that made nice yellow rather than green.

Feel free to post photos of your own plants. Have a nice day.

Joseph

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

Joseph I love the Velvet Sage it is so pretty!! I am still seeing a hummer once in a while...zinnias are one of my other favorites. They are so easy from seed.

I'll definitely put aside some cannas for you.

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Hibiscus File' Gumbo

How would you like to have a nice, huge and fluffy Morning Glory this color ! ! !

Original Author
    14 years ago

OMG Emma that's a stunner of a flower!!

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Thanks Joseph,
    File' Gumbo is one of my very favorites.

It is one of 16 or so Cajun Series Hibiscus that I have.
    Careful, this is 'another' addiction

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I mix my MG's up with a lot of passion vines and brugs. It gives color when they aren't in bloom. Here's a few of my brugs and passies. There's also a clock vine in there. Joseph I love that fuzzy blue/white salvia.

{{gwi:530674}}
    {{gwi:530676}}
    {{gwi:71598}}

{{gwi:538689}}

{{gwi:539633}}
    {{gwi:554956}}
    {{gwi:554943}}
    {{gwi:554931}}

{{gwi:501271}}
    {{gwi:500492}}

{{gwi:493575}}
    {{gwi:531432}}

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

Wow Karyn~Nice Passies!!

Emma I love that Hibiscus!! I guess we could have worse addictions huh!!

• rosepetal122
    14 years ago

very pretty everybody!