Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moving a Climbing Hydrangea

Posted by coach_55 OH (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 10:40

I have a hydrangea that gets too much shade. It's not climbing, nor is it blooming. I plan on removing it but I thought it might have some value to someone if it was in the right location. Is it possible to transplant or salvage one of these? If so, I'm in Cincinnati for anyone who wants it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moving a Climbing Hydrangea

How long have you had it? Climbing hydrangeas take a long time to establish well enough to bloom or even put on significant height. And they need a wide, rough surface on which to climb or adhere the rootlets that emerge from the stems. It would have to be pretty darn heavy shade to discourage this vine.

o
RE: moving a Climbing Hydrangea

I've had it for 6 or 7 yrs. A portion of it is under the shade of our deck and steps. Another section of it gets pretty good sun. My idea was for it to climb on the poured concrete foundation wall. I think it may be too smooth for the vine to cling to. It did bloom fairly well quite some time ago and I think thats why I've endured it for so long without blooms. I'm leaning strongly to removing it and trying some hostas and maybe coral bells.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here