Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_970892

New MG blooms

littleonefb
13 years ago

Here are some new MG blooms. Finally they are blooming. Now the hope that there is still time for seed pods to ripen for next year.

Enjoy

Fran

chocolate silk

tye dye blue.

love how the sun light shows through this pic, the actual color is far more of a dark violet than the pic shows, but the sun is at this location most of the day.

blue silk from the tan seed version. Thanks Jospeh

rose silk

mt fuji lt blue. finally a full flower, not a split bloom

ukigumo. no streaks or stripe appearance in the bloom. looks more like a form of blue silk to me

heavenly blue. didn't think I'd get a bloom, been a favorite of the chipmunks and the vines are barely 4 inches tall.

suigetsu

flying saucer. these are all blooming a square type shape bloom and none of them are the huge flower with bold stripes in the blooms

Comments (6)

• ruthz
    13 years ago

Beautiful flowers Fran.
    I love the fuji blue one.
    I grew that one last year and I'm not sure why I didn't grow it this year.
    I'm growing Ukigumo for the first time this year and was wondering if it's just stingy with it's flowers. I've had one flower so far.
    But I'll take that, as I still have a bunch that haven't bloomed at all.

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ruth,

Ukigumo = stingy flower blooms for sure. 3 different years of growing it, this being third year.

Prior 2 times, 3 blooms first year, 3 blooms second year, and so far this is the first bloom.

I was hoping that it would do better this year growing in a pot with miracle grow potting mix. so far no luck, but the weather has been absolutely horrible with high heat in the 90's and a couple times we had 100 degrees and the dewpoints where right up there with it.

Fran

• karyn1
    13 years ago

More beautiful MG's. I really like the suigetsu, ukigumo and the blue silk from Joseph. I have plenty of dark and streaked blues and pale pinks but very few of the pale blue varieties.

The heat and humidity is really getting to my MG's and now I have some type of disease, a fungus, I assume. Many of my plants look like crap. Brown spots develop on the foliage then the leaf yellows and eventually drops. The stems and buds look ok but new growth is stunted. We've had temps in the mid 90's to the triple digits along with oppressive humidity almost daily since May. It's been too hot but I know I'll be complaining about the cold in the not too distant future. lol

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Karen,

This heat and humidity has been a killer this summer. It's a been a crap shoot as to what has done well and what hasn't.

MG's are blooming really late and some are very strange in the blooms.

I'm thinking that the reason they are starting to bloom now has to do with the angle of the sun so late in the season now. It sure as heck hasn't been any cooler and dryer in the last few weeks.
    We have been in the mid to high 90's and dew points in the 70's still.

I do love the pale blue varieties. Keep your fingers crossed that I get lots of seed pods from them. I will let you know and we can set up a trade for some.

I haven't found any fungus on any, at least so far, BUT, my one and only flying saucer vine had some weird tiny, tiny, yellow insect on it.
    At first I thought it was some large size pollen, but yesterday I noticed lots of tiny ants on the stems and flower buds. These yellow insects are about half the size of the ants and the ants where enjoying themselves and going off with these yellow things.

This morning their where barely any of them on the vine, but the leaves have some fading spots on them that are starting to turn yellow.

Not only that, look at the pic of the flying saucer. What gives with the squarish shape and they blooms aren't the usual huge flower size.

The Ukigumo looked almost the same as the blue silk to me, early this morning.
    will have to see if the other buds on it bloom the same.

We both will be complaining about the cold before we know it. Right now, it's pouring out and kind of breezy. We are getting some of the well inland fringe effects of what is left of Hurricane Earl.
    At least I'm not on the coast and the rain we are getting is badly needed. We are still 7 inches below normal for June, July and August and that's after getting 14 inches of rain in March.

It's called mother nature and we just can't win when it comes to her.

Fran

• luvsgrtdanes
    13 years ago

Fran great blooms!! Love the Flying Saucer!

I know how you feel with this crappy weather! Between getting a late start because of back problems then the heat and now a few cool mornings it's a wonder I have any blooms at all.

• littleonefb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ronnie,

When did you start having back problems too? Bad backs and gardening are not a great combo, from personal experience I know that for a fact.

Some of this years MGs are from seeds you sent me in a trade.

will email you to see what we can do with a long running MG trade this year.

Check out my other thread with some 2010 MG pics. one of them is a dark blue, beautiful bloom, but it came from the packet of seeds from you that where shimmer light blue. this one isn't but all the other seeds where.

Fran