Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kyushu University Q961 - 'Budo Nezumi'

Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 3, 09 at 11:19

I got this simply fabulous Japanese morning glory from a friend who lives in Japan. I am certain she must have gotten it from the collection housed at Kyushu University since it carried the Q-number of Q961. She gave it a Romaji name of Budo Nezumi. I like this one very much, needless to say; the intense color of the flower jumps out at you when it is surrounded by the yellow-green leaves. I am hoping it makes tons of flower but to date it has only made less than 10. Let's hope for a bunch of seed capsules on Budo Nezumi!

Naomi Q961 Budo-Nezumi 2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kyushu University Q961 - 'Budo Nezumi'

Hi Joseph,

Just wanted to express my appreciation of your posting this morning glory. I look at those colors and think to myself, no wonder some Japanese names of morning glories related to brocade silk. I need to look more into that, as well as so much else.

Regarding so much else, is this a good link with which to approach Kyushu University, if you're new to the idea of seeing what there would be to learn there, and/or just an American gardener like me who barely squeaked through high school? - http://www.googlesyndicatedsearch.com/u/kyushu?hl=en&inlang=ja&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Morning+Glory+%2B+seed&btnG=Search

One more point - maybe we could start introducing some of what some gardeners have learned and shared elsewhere regarding us American dirt-gardeners deciphering certain key words from the Japanese to English.

Y'all - I'm thinking baby steps here. This information is accessible to us all; I think we'll be surprised where the first baby step could take us.

Thank you again for sharing this one.

Karen/Bluespiral

ps - if that link to Kyushu U doesn't work, Joseph, could you suggest one that would work here on GW?

o

"Love that one" as she says falling of the chair!!

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 3, 09 at 16:12

Thanks, Ronnie! I need to get this pretty thing into a larger container. It is currently in one of those 6 inch pots, yet appears to be happy with the flowers and unblemished leaves.

Karen, I saved that link as a shortcut, it is quite useful indeed to get information I'd not seen before. Did you drive the search from the Kyushu University home page?

Here is the Kyushu University Japanese Morning Glory collection web site link: Kyushu University Japanese Morning Glory Collection Website

Eiji Nitasaka, Ph.D., is the keeper of a huge repository of strains of Ipomoea nil, I. purpurea and crossings and such of Japanese morning glory seeds. I will get a separate thread going of my visit to see Dr. Nitasaka when I went to Japan in July.

The various Q-number strains of Japanese morning glories may be found in pictures at this web site, drool on! LOL

Photograph Pages of Kyushu University Japanese Morning Glory Collection

Joseph

Naomi Q961 Budo Nezumi brown yellow leaf

o

That's very pretty and different looking. I just took a look at the University MG collection and was completely blown away. I'd never have known some of those were MG's like this one (link below) They are so unusual. I wonder if we'll ever see anything like that here? Thanks for posting your photo and the links.

Here is a link that might be useful: mg pic

o

Thu, Sep 3, 09 at 17:20

Thanks, Karyn. Here is the link to smaller photographs of the same flowers:

Smaller photos of Kyushu University Japanese Morning Glory Collection

o

Are all those morning glories at the Kyushu University new varieties?

I wish they had names :-(

o

Thu, Sep 3, 09 at 18:43

Aker, most of the strains housed in the Kyushu University have probably been around for quite some time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here