Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
JMG seed question

Posted by ruthz 8a D/FW Texas (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 17, 09 at 11:25

Almost every day I have a solid color and one or two with white around the edge on my Red Star vines. Most look like they are supposed to.
Do you tag these and keep the seeds seperate?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: JMG seed question

Ruth,

I always tag any bloom that is 'different'. This way you can grow it out again next year to see if it stays true. All have their own method of tagging pods, but I always use masking tape and write the information with a permanent marker with the date and bloom description. Place the tape directly behind the bloom at the sepals where the pod will form. Also place the tape gently and loose to give the pod room to mature. I always put the date so I can reference back to that particular bloom since I take oodles of photos. Then when you collect that particular seed pod, you already have your information noted.

Emma

o

Great idea Emma on the date...I use my label maker. I like the tape idea though!!

o

• Posted by ruthz 8a D/FW Texas (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 17, 09 at 16:09

Thanks Emma,
I'll try that.
Now that you told me how you tag them, I noticed it on your pink MG on the Blue Star thread.

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 17, 09 at 16:41

I should tag more seeds that show desirable traits. I did with a streaked margin flower of Xiong's red with white margined flower - grew it this year and all F1 flowers were normal. It is still worthwhile to tag flowers, I agree.

o

Joseph,
I totally agree with you.

Ruth,
I noticed the tag on the Blue I. purpurea photo too when I posted it, and that was probably something I *cross-pollinated*. I do the same thing when I cross anything and that year I was doing a lot of HIGE crossing. I have SO many tagged pods that I have crossed - you just wouldn't believe! But, at least with my date, I can go to my images and see exactly what I cross-pollinated.

Emma

o

Emma, I wonder if you are the one that told me to use masking tape on my vines and other plants. Someone did and that's what I've been using for a couple of years now.

A suggestion thought a pen to use to write with. I found the permanent pens fade in the sun and/or weather with too much rain.

Better to use a deco paint pen with black paint in it. Nothing removes the paint on the masking tape.

Fran

o

I've been using a twist tie around the stems of flowers I want to collect seeds from. I write a number on the tie and keep a key to the numbers in a notebook.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here