Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Morning glory starting to Wilt after removing top layer of soil??

Posted by gorlax 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 24, 07 at 11:32

This may seem strange but I am growing a heavenly blue morning glory vine in my room. It is about 3 months old and is just on the verge of blooming. Now I had a bad gnat problem in the soil. I quit watering to encourage flowering and it seemed to also lower the gnat problem but when I started to get water again. They came back even more. So I took action and looked up how to get rid of them. I sucked up the top layer of soil about an 1 inch. I also added 1 garlic clove along with a mixture of soap water/ cinnamon/ mint extract. and now the next day I noticed all the leaves are wilting and it looks very weak. I did notice that a few roots were showing after sucking the layer of soil up. I added some replacement soil and rooting supplement today to help get things back to normal. Anyone have any suggestions on keeping my vine alive.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Morning glory starting to Wilt after removing top layer of so

gorlax -It sounds like your MG has just about been OverDosed by the attempts to control the gnats...

I would try a few things...

1)You can try a major FLUSHING out of the soil to hopefully completely eliminate all of the chemicals that are causing the plant to wilt...MG's do not like mint oil...keep watering alot and flushing off the water to dilute any of the gnat treatment...

2)Completely remove all of the toxic soil by placing the plant in a large waterproof container and fill this with lukewarm water to free the plants roots from the toxic soil...replant into new soil...

3)try rooting some cuttings from the plant...

If it were my plant I would opt for #2...and #3...

I've never had any difficulty transplanting MG's as long as the plants were very well watered before,during and after transplanting...

You can also do nothing > and leave the plant in the soil that it is in but I think the present medium has become too toxic and is most likely going to do the plant in...

The main thing to keep in mind is >DO NOT(!) add any more chemicals or 'treatments' to the soil...

Hope that helps and please let us know if something works...

TTY,...

Ron

P.S. - send me a picture of the plant to my e-mail if you can and want to...

o

You really did add a lot of "stuff" trying to control the fungus gnats. I have fungus gnat problems often when I'm starting seeds indoors. I use Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis), a larvacide, to control them. You can buy a product called Mosquito Dunks wherever aquatic plant supplies are sold. I put a chunk of a dunk in a gallon of water, let it sit overnight and use that to water my seed trays. It's a naturally occuring soil dwelling bacterium and is safe to pets, people, fish and birds.
Karyn

o

alright. I transplanted it into a another pot with fresh potting soil. As I Was washing the old toxic dirt away I noticed that it had little roots. I am assuming that the roots became week and just broke apart. They are still white and are not rotting. I guess ill just have to wait a few more days and hope it grows well. thanks for input.

o

I'm very envious that you are able to even have morning glories. They are illegal in Arizona. I would love it if somebody would be willing to mail me some seed pods when they're available.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here