Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rust on MG foliage?

Posted by karyn1 MD 7 (bhkalen@aol.com) on
Sun, Sep 13, 09 at 11:32

Are MG's susceptible to rust? I have a Japanese MG vine that has what appears to be rust killing the foliage and I see it's spreading to the calyx around the seed pods. I didn't get a pic but can get one later if necessary. I was just wondering if they did get rust as I've never seen it on an MG before.

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rust on MG foliage?

Hi Karyn -

Yes, Morning Glories are very susceptible to Rust.
First thing you need to do is remove all of the leaves that have Rust - it may turn out that you will eventually end up removing them all. However, the plant will produce new leaves. Hopefully yours is in a pot. If it is you need to move it away from your other MGs. Also, when you are removing the leaves - DONT TOUCH ANYTHING until you wash your hands, as it can spread very easily this way too.

If you dont at least remove the leaves, they will be the ugliest of anything you will see, plus the leaves will die anyways after they have turned yellow to brown them crumble up, so by removing the leaves infected with Rust, there is less chance for it to go to other plants.
RUST IS A GARDENER'S NIGHTMARE.

This is the very first year that I have not had Rust on my MGs, and I am very sure it is because I use several Bayer products. If you are interested, I will need to ask Jerry which he used. One is VERY strong and you will need to wear a mask, the other two were not as strong so far as the smell of the chemical. Anytime you spray, it should be just before dark so you do not kill any bees. I swear by Bayer, and they are coming out with more and more great products.

Another product that we have used successfully is Copper Sulphate.

Ron talks a lot about using Copper Sulphate
I will need to get the dilution ratio to use from Jerry. I think it is 7%

Here is the Bayer link that I did a search on of Rust
http://www.bayeradvanced.com/solutionCenter.cfm?q=Rust&x=13&y=6

http://www.bayeradvanced.com/product/All-In-One-Rose-Flower-Care/

This is what we last bought for spider mites that are starting to come around, plus they are horrible every year in my Greenhouse
http://www.bayeradvanced.com/product/3-in-1-Insect-Disease-and-Mite-Control/

Another thing we did this spring was sprayed the soil in all flower beds where I would be growing my MGs with Copper Sulphate

Emma

o

Thanks Emma. It is a container plants but I just disposed of it, bagged and in the trash, not the compost pile. It's getting pretty late in the season anyway and they probably only have about 3-4 weeks before the first frost. I've never seen rust on a MG before. I wonder if it's because we've had so much cool wet weather this year?

The only chemical control I use are miticides, Forbid and Floramite and only used them as a last resort because I had Broad Mites on my brugs. I try not to use anything, even horticultural oils. That's one of the reasons I don't grow roses. I think it's next to impossible to not get Black Spot and Powdery Mildew on roses in this area, even resistent varieties and I won't use fungicides.

I'm not a radical crunchy person. lol I just have loads of critters in the garden and my children are around the plants all the time so I stay away from most chemicals.

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 14, 09 at 8:57

I have this ugly rust disease on my JMG vines. Emma, you are so right about what the leaves look like; the leaves are just hanging like limp black fractions of their former selves after the rain we had this past week.

Can the rust infection hang on seeds collected from these plants? If so, is there a protocol for disinfection of the seeds?

Joseph

o

Joseph,
Yes, the Rust disease really is Ugly - plus it spreads quickly.

I don't know if the Rust infects the seeds . . . however, a very good question that I too would like to know about.

Emma

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here