Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MG seed-saving - newbie needs help

Posted by robiniaquest z6 MO (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 5, 07 at 11:45

I know a lot of you on here know a lot about MGs, so hopefully you can help me out.
My 8 yr. old son has been planting morning glories for 3 years now, and this year he has suddenly gone a little crazy with it. His first year he planted Crimson Rambler, which I understand to be I. purpurea, second year, let those self-sow and added Scarlett O'Hara (I. nil?), and let those self-sow, third year added Grandpa Ott's, Heavenly Blue, and the Burpee mixes Early Call and Celestial Mix. His Scarlett O'Hara's and Crimson Ramblers came true with self-sowing up to now, but I am not sure they will after this year's bonanza of so many different varieties all planted in a fairly small area (about 100' x 30'). I have more space I could let him have, but this is still only a relatively large, small-town city lot - does have some barriers, like a 6 ft. privacy fence in back, if that would help.

He is saving seeds like mad, including some of I. hederacea and I. pandurata from grandma's farm, and wants nothing more for his birthday than a "big box of morning glory seeds" of types he doesn't have. I don't want to spoil his fun, but how in the world can he save seed and have any of these come true anymore? I don't really know which species will cross-pollinate and which won't, so any basics on that would help for starters. Other than that, can you give a little kid any advice on how to go about making seed-saving work for him? Oh yeah, AND he wants to try crossing some - I said I think the bees are probably taking care of that for us as we speak...

Hope this is somewhat clear, and thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MG seed-saving - newbie needs help

robiniaquest - Just checking in here to see what's been posted...but > I sent you an e-mail and will go into more detail as per your questions...as well as post some more on here later on as time permits...

TTY,...

Ron

o

Ron,
Thanks. I haven't gotten your email. I've had trouble with GW email before, but I'll keep checking. Meanwhile, anything you could post would be great. I'm looking forward to anything anyone has to contribute.

- robiniaquest

o

Ron,

Would you be able to resend that email? I still haven't gotten it - checked my spam folder, but still can't find it.
Thanks so much.

- robiniaquest

o

robiniaquest - I sent another mail via the GW...if it doesn't reach you it may be that you changed your e-mail since you signed up on here and need to update it in your info so it will be forwarded to your correct address...

Send me an e-mail
http://members.gardenweb.com/members/write.cgi?username=ron_convolvulaceae
as I'd like to work something out relative to the seeds...

Basically different species will not cross fertilize but many merchants and traders are unsure of how to identify species correctly and so mislabeling does occur e.g., Scarlett O'Hara should be a solid throat Ipomoea nil but Ipomoea purpurea Crimson Rambler is often mistakenly substituted,Ipomoea purpurea is often listed as Ipomoea tricolor and so on...

Learning how to do simple hand pollination will help to insure that the flowers remain true to type and allow you to do intentional crosses which are >always fun to do...

The sepals on the flowerbuds,at the outer flower base and on the seedpods are the most reliable key to identifying...

Send or post any photos of flowers that you need an ID on...

TTY,...

Ron

P.S. - Photo link to seedpod of Ipomoea purpurea which always reflexes to point towards the ground...in contrast to Ipomoea hederacea,I.nil and I.tricolor in which the seedpods remain erect...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipomoea purpurea reflexed seedpod pedicel

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here