Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eimer_gw

Growing coral honeysuckle on shrubs and trees.

Eimer
11 years ago

I have rooted several honeysuckles, specifically Lonicera sempervirens or coral honeysuckle or trumpet honeysuckle of the Major Wheeler cultivar. And I want to experiment growing these on shrubs and trees. The rootings are each about one foot tall, clearly growing from spring, early-summer cuttings.

Last fall, I already tried this by planting honeysuckle rootings beside, underneath, some hollies (Nellie R. Stevens and Blue Princess) with mixed results: those with the most sun did fine growing up the shorter Blue Princess hollies and did bloom this year frequently. Those by the much taller Nellie R. Stevens did not grow much, did not bloom, probably because of much less sun, but may after some slow steady growth bloom eventually.

Now I want to try it with other plants including dwarf "Irish Eyes" Leyland cypress, which are less dense than than the common full-size Leyland cypress. And with Jane magnolias, lilacs, forsythia, nandina, some small white pines, more hollies, large box wood, and possibly butterfly bushes (perhaps pruning the Buddleia much less to grow them as small tress).

I would much appreciate any suggestions, advice, descriptions of experience at this, warnings, etc., any comments at all. Thank you.

Comments (5)