Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Moonflower cuttings/Spring planting ideas

moonwolf_gw
14 years ago

Hello everyone, I'm new to posting here but not to reading the hoya ( I post there too) and vine forums on GW. So for my first questions here on the vine forum:

Has anybody sucessfuly rooted moonflower cuttings? I took two from the vine I'm growing outside, potted them up and placed in an eastern exposure. They looked awful until today when I noticed one leaf perking up one the one cutting!

Next year, I'm planning of adding another vine to the morning glory/moonflower mix outside. I want to plant Cup and Saucer Vine (both kinds) along with them. Good idea or not? Let me know what you think!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (9)

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

Hi Brad, are you planing to grow them inside for the winter?

I love cup and saucer but never get any flowers...do you? I am never successful with the moon flower either. Too much vine and very few flowers...I see you are z6 also.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Ronnie,

No I'm not planning on growing Cup and Saucer inside for the winter. The moonflower cuttings I am though. I wanted to see if I could grow it as a houseplant. I have an old book called "Bringing The Outdoors In" and it says about moonflowers, cup and saucer, passiflora, even clematis growing indoors.

I have never grown cup and saucer vine before. I hear it's easy to grow though, which makes me want to try it.

I have a honeysuckle that's doing rather well. No flowers this year as it is its first and just vining skyward! I bought it as "Old Fashioned Honeysuckle" at a local garden center a few months ago. I can't tell what kind it is due to the leaves but I'm thinking it's a japonica (Yes I know, bad move). But, like everybody else, I love the fragrance!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

P.S. Moonflowers have a wonderful fragrance as well! I've been growing them the past three years and have had flowers every year. Morning glories grow with it and mom's been growing them since before we moved. They always do well. Oh I forgot, I also have two clematises: A Reiman and a Nelly Moser.

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

OOH Brad keep us posted on the MF during the winter!! There are a few members, myself included that grow MGs inside during the winter. I just made space in my little sunny room for quite a few glories. Some are going upstairs under fluorescents too...Hoping by December it feels like July!!

I love honeysuckle...what a great memory smell for me. I just had to remove one from our arbor, just old and craggy looking! I'll surely have a new one somewhere else though!!

What MGs do you grow?

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I can't remember what they're called.They're pink and dark purple flowers. They're doing great though!

As for honeysuckle, Brushwood Nursery has some back in stock. But the only fragrant ones that he has are Goldflame and Early Dutch. They may not be as fragrant as the Japanese variety, but it's better than nothing.
    This past spring, I gave my friend/neighbor a honeysuckle plant for her birthday. It was labeled Hall's Honeysuckle. They said it's really taking off! What kind of honeysuckle did you rip out?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry to say that the cuttings have died :( .
    I just threw them out today. However, the ones growing outside are doing extremely well! I see a couple buds that might bloom here in the next week or so!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• kitten71
    4 years ago

We live in condo,Saratoga Springs,N.Y..I decided to grow moon flowers in a pot on the veranda they were planted ,but the vine is growing on wrought iron with tons of buds we can’t wait to see them at night and early morn when they are on there way out. The container isn’t that big ,the root system must be incredible. I have to water, water ,water.

• papnnana
    4 years ago

Great

• papnnana
    4 years ago

I think you mean "Moonvine".

• HU-315428702
    2 years ago

When you put the moon flower in the potting soil did you just put it in the soil as is or did you use rooting hormone powder?

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH