Photobucket

Photobucket
Baby Blues
This is what it would have looked like
Photobucket

Also some of the leaves have small holes
I did kill a small fuzzy worm yesterday on the Purple vine
Today I found a snail on my Tie Dye Pink container
and on a couple other vines I found a small ladybug like beatle.
Normally I only use Neem Oil to spray my plants if needed, but won't be able to do that since we're expecting rain for the next 10 days or so.
Any suggestions what I can do until the rain stops?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something is eating my MG flowers/leaves

The ladybug looking beetle was most likely a Golden Tortise beetle which will make holes in the foliage but I've never seen them eat a bloom. I like them and don't kill them because they are quite pretty. They can change their shell color and either look a bit like a ladybug or are a beautiful metallic gold color.

o

Hmmm...I'd say caterpillar damage as they are fond of eating the most tender parts of the petals (which is the secondary fold area0 and leaving the tougher parts that are part of the support ribs at the center of the petals...

There is something unusual in the throat of the bloom that has the parts eaten away and a closeup shows that the perpetrator left it's calling card deposited on the base of the petal at the 3 o'clock position...

Sending you a cropped enlarged closeup for your review...

o

I TOTALLY agree with Ron.
I have the same problem.

The 'holes' are made before the bloom opens are are usually perfectly shaped all around the bloom.

I sometimes find 'those things' down in the throat of my MGs. aarrgggg!

If you feel you must spray, Neem oil is good - or, just wait until they 'fly away'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here