Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Climber wanted, Hudson valley growing area

Posted by Klippenwald 5a (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 13:12

I'm looking for a wall climber. Non-invasive. It would be great if it changed color in the fall, better yet if it flowered too. I'd prefer to avoid the craziness of English Ivy.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Climber wanted, Hudson valley growing area

Parthenocissus quinqefolia or tricuspidata (Virginia creeper and Boston ivy) both develop great fall color and will cling to walls. Climbing hydrangea will need help adhering initially but produces lots of flowers. Crimson glory vine (Vitis coignetiae), an ornamental grape vine, has stunning fall color but will need some sort of support system.

Seems like one gets fall color or flowers but not necessarily both ;-)

o
RE: Climber wanted, Hudson valley growing area

Those first two look great for climbing and color. The climbing hydrangea is nice, but it sure is bushy. That would invite a lot of wildlife to inhabit the space, and with squirrels, 'munks, snakes and every other creepy-crawly in the area I'm sure more than one would use it as a hangout and an invitation to test nearby windows.

I'm definitely looking for something that needs little/no assistance to climb on its own. Otherwise I could just use a Clematis, Wisteria, Jasmine or something like that. They look great, but need a lot of support.

I remember seeing a climbing vine in the UK that had small white flowers, unfortunately I don't know if it had fall color, or even what it was.

Thanks for the mentions, I completely forgot about Virginia Creeper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here