Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these Morning Glory seeds/pods?

Posted by vanillalotus 8b (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 07 at 13:21

I have been admiring this vine at my apartment complex for awhile. I just walked by and notice all these pods with seeds in them. Are these morning glories? Do you nick them and soak them then plant them? Please tell me morning glories so I can pick off all the pods!!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these Morning Glory seeds/pods?

Well...yeah,..., they LOOK like MG seeds, but there are so many evil vines that look like them, and spread like wild fire, till you feel you're being attacked. Me thinks we need the MG expert to show his head here. Ron?... :)

o

I hope they are actual morning glories. I'm suspicious because the leaves to me don't look like any morning glory leaves I have seen. Anyone else know?

o

They do look like MG pods and seeds but quite hesitant to say they are if that is the leaves that go with them...did you take the pods-leaves from the vine shown here? That bud or after flowering bud looks like a wild type of mg that we have here but then again those leaves throw me off...

Juanita

o

yes that is the vine that the pods came off of. Well the actual vine was dried up but the dried leaves looked just like the fresh ones over it. They have flowers like morning glories but the leaves is what made me question what it is also.

o

Boy, a picture of the flowers would really help an ID... lol, *I* might still not be able to tell, but I'm sure somebody else would. ;-) If no picture available, how would you describe them?

Now, I'm looking at the pictures you provided and seeing what look like dried petals split like that with the pod, and thinking maybe not morning glories since most morning glories I have seen have fused petals and when they dry they twist up into a swirly knot before falling off... but I'm sure there are exceptions to all MG rules, and maybe those aren't even petals... just some thoughts.

Terri

o

Can you show a picture of the flower? That will help with an ID. Ron will know for sure what it is. They are definitely MG seeds and pods.

Here is a link that might be useful: Does it look like this one?

o

I'll go out and look tomorrow to see if there are any flowers. Last time i checked there weren't any blooming right now but i remember seeing some buds for new ones. I don't remember what color they were.

o

I FOUND IT. It's called alamo vine it is a morning glory. I need to research and see if it is invasive even though i'll plant it in pots. I figured it out with the leave shape since it's so different than others. I did a search for texas vines and it just happens to be a texas native.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alamo Vine morning glory

o

That's it...you got it before I even got to scroll to the bottom of this thread to type a response...

They usually have the reddish colored throat,but some are almost pure white and untra-rare ones have reversed tubes...

TTY,...

Ron

o

lol, well they weren't petals I was looking at, were they? Sepals perhaps? Go me for forgetting everything I ever learned in Botany 101. ;-)

Whatever they are --- congratulations, vanillalotus, that looks like a really pretty flower and congrats on ID'ing it. Reminds me of a small hibiscus in vine form.

:-D

o

I'm glad that I saw this post because someone recently sent me seeds for the Alamo vine. Now I know what the foliage will look like.
Karyn

o

Thank you everyone will the help trying to id this vine/pods. It was fun trying to figure it out. Thanks for all the help. Karyn, I'm glad found this thread and that it helped you out, that's awesome. Are you still going to plant your alamo vine knowing that leaves look the way they do? Thank you Ron for the added information I see you have some photos of the vine posted on davesgarden! Off to plant my seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here