Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Firecracker Vine (manettia cordifolia)

Posted by kimbyj MD (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 07 at 13:29

Hello
I just purchased one of these beauties and its in a gallon container with a little trellis. The nursery wasn't able to tell me much about it. I know its a perenial and sun/part shade but how do I winter it over? Should I replant it now or wait until next spring? Should I just re-pot it in a huge pot now? Do I cut it back after it dies and then bring it back out in spring?
I'm so excited about this vine but I'm intimidated b/c there's not much info really.
Thanks
Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Firecracker Vine (manettia cordifolia)

According to two sources I found, manettia cordifolia is only hardy to zone 8. I have what Plant Delights Nursery sold as manettia inflata and it has been hardy for me in zone 7a NC for several years. It doesn't really match other pictures of manettia inflata that I have seen but whatever it is, it has survived and the humming birds love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Manettia cordifolia

o

whoa that's awesome. Is that planted in full sun? The tage says full or part shade. I am in zone 7 and actually read where someone has it in NJ, but it's potted and they bring it in...so maybe that's the key for MD...to keep it potted? Do you cut your back?
Thanks I am a newbie gardener so any hints will be much appreciated.

o

Kim, mine is planted in full sun in zone 7a here in the middle of NC. I let the plant die back when frost hits it and then trim it back to ground level in late winter to early spring or whenever I am out there with the pruners!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here