Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with my first year Concord grape vine

Posted by wilsocn 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 13:31

I bought and planted this little vine in the spring and have never really known what to do with it. I have left it to sprawl and it has developed three canes. Hopefully cane is the right word to use here.

You can see that I have a green plastic pole in the photo that one of the new canes has attached itself to but unfortunately that little pole only extends up about 2 feet and I have no trellis system in place.

The most vigorous part of the vine is growing out into the yard so I don't know how much trouble it will be to lift it up and try to train in to a pole. The tendrils that it put out are curled up and dry now since I had to lift it up once a week to mow under it.

I just read that I should have cut it back to one strong shoot so that it gets all of the energy. Is it too late to do that? Fall is here and the days and nights here in KY are definitely getting a little cooler.

Basically I would like to know what I need to do with this vine in order to get it into shape. I am just about to build a high cordon trellis so that is what it will ultimately be growing on.

I would definitely appreciate any advice.

Thanks

photo ConcordGrapeVine_zps979b01da.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with my first year Concord grape vine

Watch this video....there are also many more sites you can explore to help you and your grape vine.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Training first year grape vines

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here