Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wilsocn

Help with my first year Concord grape vine

wilsocn
10 years ago

I bought and planted this little vine in the spring and have never really known what to do with it. I have left it to sprawl and it has developed three canes. Hopefully cane is the right word to use here.

You can see that I have a green plastic pole in the photo that one of the new canes has attached itself to but unfortunately that little pole only extends up about 2 feet and I have no trellis system in place.

The most vigorous part of the vine is growing out into the yard so I don't know how much trouble it will be to lift it up and try to train in to a pole. The tendrils that it put out are curled up and dry now since I had to lift it up once a week to mow under it.

I just read that I should have cut it back to one strong shoot so that it gets all of the energy. Is it too late to do that? Fall is here and the days and nights here in KY are definitely getting a little cooler.

Basically I would like to know what I need to do with this vine in order to get it into shape. I am just about to build a high cordon trellis so that is what it will ultimately be growing on.

I would definitely appreciate any advice.

Thanks