Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthz_gw

Wet Morning Glory seeds

ruthz
14 years ago

It's been raining here for days and I haven't had a chance to check my MG seeds. This morning between showers I decided to check them and found some sprouted and bursting out of the seedpods (little sprouts like when you soak them).

I wasn't planning to start morning glories this late, but didn't think the seeds would be good later, so I stuck them in a pot.

Anybody else have this happen?

Comments (11)

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

Hi Ruth, I still have quite a few seedlings popping up from my purpureas...When do you get frost where you live?

• ruthz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Usually around the end of October, sometimes not until November. I put the seeds in pots so I can bring them in if I need to. Don't want to lose either one to frost.
    One is the Maisugata that I got from you which has done great and is really beautiful, and the other one is Red Star/Rosita.

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Ruth
    We too are getting rain and I'm not that far from you.
    and yes, I have seeds germinate in the pods all the time when they get wet. In fact, I just yesterday potted some of them up to grow over the winter.

Emma

• ruthz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Emma
    I didn't know they would do that, but then how often do we get this many days of rain this late in the year.

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Ruth,

Tell me, we 'Finally' get rain. I think everyone in the northern states got together and blew it down to us. . . lol
    Yes, the seeds will germinate easily in pods when wet. So, just pot them up and enjoy them over the winter. In fact, lots of folks, including Joseph, usually grow MGs over the winter.

Ronnie, you too grow MGs during the winter months as well - don't you?

GROWING MGS OVER THE WINTER would be a super great Thread for Joseph to start since he grows them 12 months of the year. . . lol
    This way we can have a winter MG growing party!

Emma

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Blowing really hard and fainting..I see lights help me..cracking up belly laugh Emma that is funny..Thanks for the smile..:)

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

LOL, wishing I blew you the rain and the cold all blasted spring and summer and now it's over!!

Yes Emma I grow inside in the winter too..skipped last year but am going to try and do a boatload this year. I have plenty of space and lights so I am going to start quite a few...I'm definitely up for a party!!

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Woot woot Party time! I will bring the Tequlia gave it up years ago..It makes us giggle and smile...:)From what I remember...lol Man I want one right now, lol corn in the hair... I dont want to see corn for a long time...Cracking up here..:) Harvest time is tiring...:) but good hahahha

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Sorry Ruth OT :) hugs

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

I have had balsam seeds sprout up inside the pod. Glad it does not happen often.

Yup yup, I have about 5 cups going of variegated leaf Ipomoea purpurea seedlings for the winter crop. They sure do grow fast!

That is all the vines I will be growing inside this winter. I went crazy last year and got too many going - never will do that again!

• ruthz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yesterday I found Lt. Blue Mt. Fuji sprouting. I didn't look today but this is about 6 days of rain in row and more to come. One year I had beautiful roses bloomimg at Christmas so maybe this year it will be MG's.