Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roflol

Which purple morning glory is this, please?

roflol
16 years ago

Sister in law has these growing everywhere in her yard, and they're pretty, but unidentified. Is this Grandpa Ott, or some other deep purple morning glory? I know there are nuances but I lack Gestalt vision and can't tell by looking. ;-) Forgive the wilted look, I pulled off a newish tendril end and it was in the car for a good hour before I got home to take pictures of it. And I guess the flash gives it a whiter/bluer look than it is to the eye, I don't see the blues that show up onscreen. But that's about the best I could do in a pinch indoors. Hope somebody can ID it. :-)

{{gwi:1348381}}

{{gwi:1348382}}

{{gwi:1348384}}

Comments (10)

• littleonefb
    16 years ago

My guess is star of yelta.

Fran

• ron_convolvulaceae
    16 years ago

If the star is fuchia I usually delegate it to "Grand Pa Ott's" as that is the color of the star on the earlist Grand Pa Ott's that I grew out was...

If the Star is more purple-blue I delegate it as "Star of Yelta" as the earliest versions of SOY I grew out always had purple-blue starring...

I onlt delegate the absolute darkest ultra-violet that look extremely dark in direct sunlight at noon(no very early morning mist or other special lighting necessary) as Kniolas as the very 1st batch offered by JLHudson that I grew out produced that extremely dark color...subsequent batches of Kniolas have not been anywhere near as consistent in the depth of color...

Hope that helps...

Here is a link that might be useful: A relatively dark GrandPa Ott's of mine in direct sunlight at noon

• roflol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you both.

Ron, I had seen your discussion on Plantfiles about the differences between the purple MGs. I think I know where the throat is, but not sure about the limb. Please advise?

I had been thinking last year these were GO but got to wondering about it this year and knew there were others that looked similar, but couldn't remember all the different kinds.

So is the difference between GO and SOY just in the star color? Is leaf size any indicator? Bug/disease resistance? My SIL's do not seem to be suffering from anything. Thanks again.

• ron_convolvulaceae
    16 years ago

roflol - You asked about the following

"Is leaf size any indicator? Bug/disease resistance?"
    No

The limb on your flower is the area of the corolla from the top of the tube to the outer edge of the flower/corolla...the throat is the upper area of the tube...

The ribe are visible on the outer view and are the main supporting structures of the corolla...the primary folds are the inside of the primary ribs >the fuchia star colored area...the secondary folds are the fused area in between the primary folds and form the fused area of the (once separate)petals...

The indepth discussion is posted to the Morning Glory Forum which is a paid subscriber venue,but the very first post to a thread is viewable by non-subscribers and that is why I posted as much information as I could in the very first post...

Hope this helps...

TTY,...

Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Morning Glories: Grandpa Otts,Star of Yelta,Kniowlas...is there a difference?

• roflol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info, Ron. I tried to find a diagram online to give me a visual but no luck. I think I worked it out in my mind using definitions found, though. I probably knew botanical anatomy in high school, but it's been a while.

I do appreciate all the information you crammed into that first post on plantfiles. Something you mentioned - that SOY was introduced as an improvement on GO that would remain open most of the day... does that mean that GO closes up sooner and SOY later, and if so approximately what times? Perhaps that would give me a clue whether or not I have one of these. Here is a picture of what SIL has, on the vine at 11:00am central time on a cloudy day, temperature was around 60F I think:
    {{gwi:98418}}

Again it seems the camera sees more than I do... the star does not stand out to my eye as it does in the photo; to my eye it is a solid color, and darker. Leaves also are darker. I could not get the color to reproduce correctly with the camera; I don't actually know how to use it correctly yet other than focusing (most of the time).

Thanks again for your further consideration. I realize this is just a "common" MG, not a JMG, but it would be nice to have the correct identification if possible so if I share seeds I'll know what I'm sharing. :-)

• ron_convolvulaceae
    16 years ago

roflol - SOY was introduced as an improved Ipomoea purpurea but not necessarilly an improvement of GOTT's...

As I mentioned in my 1st reply

"If the star is fuchia I usually delegate it to "Grand Pa Ott's"...

TTY,...

Ron

• roflol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My error, Ron, you had been discussing GO and then stated "Star of Yalta/Yelta...marketed as an improved 'hybrid/cultivar' flower that would stay open for most of the day.."

I wondered - if my SIL's MG blooms stay open all day, would that indicate they are SOY rather than GO?

Again, to the naked eye I do not see the star at all, only the camera shows it up... this is the same camera that picked up blue indoors that isn't distinct, either. So is it the naked eye that determines the fuschia star presence, and therefore what would you call it with no visible star but with fuschia limb, or since the camera picks up what *I* would consider a fuschia star would you determine this to be a GO?

Or since the ribs are distinctly fuschia/pink, does that mean there is a fuschia star there and I'm just not seeing it?

Basically I'm asking: If this were your MG and you were going to share the seed, what would you name it or would you take a picture and let others figure it out? :-)

Thanks again.

• ron_convolvulaceae
    16 years ago

roflol -- sharing a few thoughts and replies...

You asked

"I wondered - if my SIL's MG blooms stay open all day, would that indicate they are SOY rather than GO?"

The names don't always correlate with the behavioral aspect of staying open all day or not...many I.purpureas stay open for most of the day and yet the same color may not...there's alot of diversity in the I.purpureas...the behavior is often more the result of the local climate conditions that the parent plant has been grown out and adapted to and the number of growout generations involved......

What is actually visible to the human eye is more relevant to a color descrption than what a camera reproduces...although mentioning what a camera reproduces is still noteworthy...

"Basically I'm asking: If this were your MG and you were going to share the seed, what would you name it or would you take a picture and let others figure it out? :-)"

I'd call it a dark blue-purple I.purpurea,show the photo and annotate that the colors visible to your eye differed from what the camera picked up...

TTY,...

Ron

• roflol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Quote: I'd call it a dark blue-purple I.purpurea,show the photo and annotate that the colors visible to your eye differed from what the camera picked up...

Thanks, Ron! That's what I will do; I do not wish to mislead. I appreciate all the other information as well.

Terri

• robiniaquest
    16 years ago

Excellent tutorial, Ron. Thanks. Because I planted both Grandpa Ott's and a Burpee mix called 'Celestial Blues' (white, blues, and purples - only got purples out of it), I was thinking I probably had some SOY, but was just calling everything GO. Anxious to go and check it out now. For seed-saving purposes, however, this isn't such good news...
    Not to mention I have some gorgeous Crimson Ramblers growing nearby that I want to keep pure - have had them three years running from a single pre-schooler's plant.

Ron, have you ever thought about writing a book on mgs? I'd buy one in a heartbeat, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.