Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerris2

Kyushu University Q751 Yellow Kikyo JMG with Red Speckles

I have grown Q751 for a few years now, having gotten the first batch of seeds from a trade with a kind Japanese MG enthusiast. Then late last year I obtained seeds from another Japanese gardener of the same strain of Ipomoea nil. I think this second strain has a smaller flower but larger reddish speckles than what I saw in the first strain I grew. I enjoy it very much...but then again I can't get enough of the speckled gene asagao.

Q751 has been given cutesy names on eBay like Ten-Ten to replace the Q-strain number, but in my opinion the Kyushu University strain ID of Q751 should be maintained in the name for proper reference, as is being done with Q961 Budo Nezumi, whose flower I recently posted in this forum.

Are any of you growing speckled JMGs? If so, let's talk trades!

Joseph

Comments (26)

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is a view of another flower of Q751 showing the deep green variegated leaves.

• ruthz
    14 years ago

That's a beautiful JMG.
    I recently ordered (Dark Pink Shibori-Stripes-Specs,Kikyo Star Shape) from Onalee Seeds that looks like that one and both have the name Kikyo.
    I'll be growing it next year.

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

Joseph that is nice...I could never get any to do well for me. I am growing two speckled ones I will post pics if I get flowers.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

That is so cool looking. I haven't seen any speckled varieties before. It has the same shape as the Kikyo Sky Blue.

• piksi_hk
    14 years ago

This one is so unique. Love the red and white.
    Joseph, you are making me drool.

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Joseph another wowzer.. Speckles are neat...

Original Author
    14 years ago

I have noticed this one stays open longer in the afternoon than the other JMGs.

• agourd
    14 years ago

Joseph,
    This strain with the name Kikyo Ten Ten is not the same strain you got from the University. It is a different strain and has much larger leaves than yours, the leaves on your strain are about 1 inch in size and very slow grower, very small. The other strain Kikyo Ten Ten is a very healthy plant, leaves are about 4 to 5 inches long and wider than the narrow ones of your strain. I too got my seeds from Japan.

I will keep using the name as it was given by someone else not necessarily anything to do with you or the strain you have. I'm sure you and I don't have a right to change the names when we receive them just because we think we are doing the right thing. We must not change anything we receive from Japan that we did not create or cross. Unless you happen to have a degree in that field, we are not experts enough to do so.

I'm sorry you think that anyone is trying to detract or take away anything from your flower. I assure you that is not the case, but credit is due where it belongs.

Antoinette

• wasabi_2009
    14 years ago

i see very one rike this in neigbor garden but blue velly nice

• ilovegardening2005
    14 years ago

Hi wasabi

Come visit my Flickr too.

Here is a link that might be useful: click here to go to my Flickr

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

I don't believe Joseph is changing the name just calling it by it's correct name.

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Ditto Ronnie

Original Author
    14 years ago

The person who changed the name was Derek/MGJapan on eBay, so he could get around the ban of selling the Q-number strains of asagao.

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

I agree with both of you, ronnie and emmagrace2

Fran

• wasabi_2009
    14 years ago

very popular shape remind me in japan of datura you get this type from university as grow myself this one last year i have yellow with blue dot from professor friend. number system of univerisity you know maybe should have hat and head of professor you know much brain when you come to Japan want to come see me, univeristy speak of great man from America with wispy hair and stomach of much food and legs of crane who come Japan last few weeks leave very nice impression how you know so much brain and numbering system? Very much IQ +++ intelegent man. Maybe you this great man who come to Japan on trip??

Original Author
    14 years ago

Dear Wasabi,

Thank you for very nice compliments! I must be who you are referring to - please give my regards to Dr. Nitasaka for me.

Joseph

Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is a picture of me with Dr. Eiji Nitasaka when I visited him the first time when I was in Japan.

Joseph

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Hi Joseph nice to meet you! Barb

• wasabi_2009
    14 years ago

i think i now i see him at tohoku research my friend speak of great American man who have body like nashi know much about asagao and very great man

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

Nice pick Joseph, you must have been in MG heaven while there.

Fran

• wasabi_2009
    14 years ago

i have many speckle best one red spot and blue spot

Original Author
    14 years ago

wasabi_2009, I would enjoy trading seeds with you. Do you have Q751? If not I can send to you. Here is a blue speckled reverse tube asagao I enjoyed growing which I can also send in a trade. Of course, if others would like to trade, they are available to you.

Joseph

Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is another flower from that same strain for you to see, wasabi_2009.

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

Joseph I love that one. I grew it last year and have some wonderful pics...I am growing it again this year but all the flowers are ugly and very distorted and sickly looking. Not worth showing. Such a shame...it was a great bloomer for me last time.

Original Author
    14 years ago

I wonder what happened with it, Ronnie? It was a challenging year to grow these vines with all the cold nights we had early on in the summer.

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

I really think it was the weather, cool and wet now cool again...One of my major problems this year was small plants. Almost all of them are in pots and they never dried, I only had to water them to feed them. I did see a few tubes too though. I am hoping for a few seeds at least to try them again next year.