Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
audrey_gw

Some of my Japanese morning glories

audrey_gw
12 years ago

My Japanese morning glories are finally starting to bloom. Here are three of them. There were actually some more this morning, which I didn't have time to photograph before church. And they generally don't look their best when it has been raining anyway. So I'll try to add some others later.

Ukigumo

Gray Fog

Supposed to be Sazanami, but not!

Comments (10)

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

Really beautiful MG's. I like all of them.

Is it always this late for MG's to start blooming or is it more to do with starting them later because of frost dates so they bloom later?

Julia

• audrey_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! Yes, the larger Japanese morning glories always seem to bloom later than the smaller-flowered types. Even though I start them indoors in May and set them out around the end of that month. But I think the Japanese types are even tardier than usual this year, as mid-summer was very hot and dry. That seemed to stall them somewhat.

The smaller types (like Kniola's black) also get an earlier start because they seed themselves down. So they have been blooming for at least a month now. While most of the Japanese types don't bloom early enough to set seed here. With the exception of Hatsu Arashi, which is usually the earliest of them.

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

Very pretty! I like the first one best of all.
    Alana

• karyn1
    12 years ago

They are all nice but I really like the Ukigumo.

• ruthz
    12 years ago

Very pretty. The last is my favorite.

• luvsgrtdanes
    12 years ago

Beautiful Audrey!!

• audrey_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, everybody. It's been cool and damp for most of the week--not good weather for morning glories. But I found out that the gray one holds up to the weather better than the others. Which is probably good to know! I don't think I've got a decent bloom from Ajgakiyama yet.

That unknown plum-colored one may be from the mix you sent me, Karyn. Or it could just be one I'm not recognizing because the weather turned it a darker color!

Rose Silk

Ajgakiyama

Akatsuki No Mai

Orihimi

Hatsu Arashi

Heian No Izumi

Unknown

• vnginger
    12 years ago

Audrey,
    Would u like to trade seeds?

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

The Orihimi is beautiful.I see just a hint of eye color. How big is the bloom? Wonderful selection you have. I'm envious of the wide varieties you have.
    It has gotten quite cool here too.

Julia

• audrey_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

vnginger,
    Thanks for the offer to trade. But, as my morning glories bloom so late, I seldom get seeds from them. If I do harvest any, I'll let you know.

Julia,
    Yes, the Orihimi blooms are quite large. If I think of it, I'll measure one some morning--provided that they continue to bloom! Though I was disappointed that they didn't have the dark pink eye that they are supposed to have. As you mentioned, there is a hint of it, but not much.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz