Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvsgrtdanes

I. Purpurea frenzy

luvsgrtdanes
14 years ago

Here is a lovely mix of my purpureas from this season. All of them are volunteers. They changed color with the change of weather, stayed open later as it cooled, and gave me a surprise almost everyday. I know they can get a bit invasive but where mine were it was fine. I won't be without them and next year they will cover my new arbor!

Here is a link that might be useful: Purpurea Mix

Comments (16)

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

That was quite a spectacular show of colorful flowers, Ronnie! Thanks!

• helena_z8_ms
    14 years ago

I love all of them. I'll be growing all the ones I have next year!

• luvsgrtdanes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Helena and Joseph. I was going to rip the down this weekend but found the feathered ones and want to try to get some seeds from them....

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Ronnie -
    AWESOME MGs

• luvsgrtdanes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Emma, I have plenty of seeds!!

• aker
    14 years ago

I was quite surprised just how the seeds from purpureas could survive the winter. We had a very cold and snowy winter down to -40C and around 4 feet of snow! The seeds continue to germinate as recently as a week ago! I had a huge container of Spring bulbs ( narcissus and hyacinth, etc ) and they froze solid and died and yet the morning glory seeds from the precious years vines in the same container make it through!

So, just how cold does it have to be be to kill off the purpurea seeds? Not that I want them to die, because they are very pretty :-)Just curious?

Aker

• aker
    14 years ago

Whoops!! My head is not screwed on properly today! I meant to write -24C for our coldest temperatures. 40C was our summer high which was also unusual!!

14 years ago

My Xiong's Purple Red is making flowers again after a hiatus, love its color.

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Joseph,
    So Pretty!

I am going on a purpurea kick next year to try for some very dark blooms to do some HIGE crossing with.

Ronnie,
    So, YES! I would definitely love to have as many of your purp. seeds as you are willing to share. Wow, did you ever have some incredible MGs.

Most of my purp. volunteers are on the pale color side and I am not growing that many this year.

Here is Star of Yelta growing now.

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Here is Flaked Raspberry-Red Shibori with more coloration. This vine has only been blooming a couple of weeks

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Jamie Lynn . . .

My information about Jamie Lynn under comments
    http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/162148/

Jamie Lynn continues to be one of my very favorite Morning Glories and I can not imagine a year without growing this Unique Beauty. Even though the Blooms are a Stunning Solid White with a Soft Light Pink Halo and Sometimes Partial Star, this is still genetically a variation of the ÂFlaked gene. Also, some blooms will be a Very Soft Pastel Solid Blue sporadically throughout the year.

Jamie Lynn is a result of seeds that I 'Isolated' and grew separately that produced many different patterns and Pastel Colors of Extremely Pale Pink, Pale Blue, and White that were either Solid Colored or Freckled-Type Blooms. All of the seeds that I have grown since 2005 of Jamie Lynn have continued to produce ÂTrueÂ.

For those who are interested in the genetic details, Jamie Lynn is what I call the a-flaked (i.e., homozygous at the "A" locus) white subline.

• luvsgrtdanes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Joseph, I love the Xiong's Purple Red and would really like to have a few seeds!!

Emma I have had Jamie Lynn growing somewhere every year for at least 4 years...Love it! The Flaked Raspberry-Red Shibori is GREAT!!

I will definitly put seeds aside for you...

{{gwi:1348537}}

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Ronnie,

Don't you just love Jamie Lynn.

I have the Raspberry-Red Flaked with more coloration separated and growing away from the others - so I should get plenty of these seeds and I will be sure to save some for you.

Here is
    HIGE Jamie Lynn growing this year and still 'True'

• luvsgrtdanes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Emma!

14 years ago

I really enjoy the hige flowers. It's a miracle the pollen can find the mark amongst all the feathered petals.

Joseph

14 years ago

Ipomoea purpurea make flowers when the I. nil vines stop, which is nice to see. Here is another flower of Xiong's Purple Red, showing a better representation of the true colors than the first one I posted above

Joseph