Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvsgrtdanes

Morning Glory Picture Thread...Add Yours

luvsgrtdanes
14 years ago

I thought I would start a thread for posting our Morning Glory pictures. Feel free to add photos from MGs you have grown. They don't have to be from this year any and all are welcome.

Wedding Bells

{{gwi:1348677}}

Comments (67)

• luvsgrtdanes
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This little fellow is from last year. Known as Dracula for marketing purposes. I was cleaning the shed and found some seeds I had forgotten about so it will be available for trade. It put out quite a few flowers.
    {{gwi:1348689}}From Morning glories 2008

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

OK, since this year was such a disaster of a growing season for me. I'm posting pictures of last years, at least some of them. I should have these blooming like this, this year, but no such luck.

NOID on this one, neighbor gave ii to me and she got the seedling from her niece. the seedlings came out of one of the common packets of MG sold by all the seed co.
    No such luck that it would bloom this year, but I'm pretty sure that I still have some seeds of this one left.

mt fuji fushia

rose silk

jaimie lynn
    {{gwi:424860}}

sydney
    {{gwi:417108}}

Arum's bold miss piggy first blooms are abou 4 inches, rest are 6 inches

I'll post more later, from last year and the year before last. and a post in honor of Emma and the seeds I got from her.

Fran

• luvsgrtdanes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fran I love the first one and would love to have a few seeds if you have extra!!

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

Ronnie, Haven't had a chance to check the old seed stash yet, will get to it over the weekend and let you know what I have left in the seeds.

Here's some more from 2008

my sort of square flying saucer.

pink silk, so much for staying blue silk a second year in a row. had 2 seed pods ripening on the vine, when chuck's offspring (chuck the groundhog), needed a snack and down the hatch the stem and seed pods went

lavender silk? so much for blue silk staying blue, geez it couldn't even stay pink either. this one bloomed lavender and all seeds where from the previous years beautiful true blooming blue silk

my mutant mt fuji purple. keeps blooming differently every year.

{{gwi:417114}}

RONNIE, you love the lavender one. I have seeds of that one, but no idea what it will bloom for you, since it was supposed to bloom like this and so sad that it didn't. Seeds came from a packet of livingston seeds that where labled blue picotee and that pic was of a double blue picotee. this is what I got. not complaining about the bloom from last year. Just that I wanted them again this year.

4 inch flower, 9:30 am bloom
    {{gwi:424827}}

same flower 1pm bloom
    {{gwi:417110}}

4pm bloom same flower

heavenly blue in early August
    {{gwi:359769}}

heavenly blue in late september

Will post more later.

Fran

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

I liked the first one too, very interesting color pattern on that purpurea flower, Fran!

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Great Blooms everyone. . .

Fran -
    I like your Purple bloom also. To me it looks like a Solid Purple Flaked Shibori.

I too got the exact Baby Blue MG out of a Livingston Seed Pack for Blue Picotee. I was told that in that particular year, they accidentally mixed in the Pale Blue seeds. Same thing also happened with the Red blooms.

Fran, if you have enough seeds to share of your mutant mt fuji purple, I would love to trade. That is an awesome MG.

Ronnie -
    Great Fuji Murasaki Blooms. That is really a grand MG.

Emma

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone!

Alana your Oreheme is gorgeus! Lovin it

Ronnie wow Mt Fuji Maurasaki pic is wonderful...

Fran I remeber your square Flying saucer from last year...That is fab it did that.... I love your rose silk... I wish we all had better weather this year... It was so dissapointing not having the wonderful flowers everywhere... I directly planted Karyns in the soil and they are the only ones doing great this year? The ones I started inside nothing...Interesting???

Joseph no more pics? Have a great day everybody...

14 years ago

I have tons of photos, LOL I grow the vines so I can photograph them, so it seems.

Here is one I really fell in love with, a somewhat no-ID JMG that I grew out of a commercial seed pack that was ID'd as Fukurin, which is the Japanese word for margined, or I guess picotee. It was a blue color that was quite welcomed in the winter; it was part of my winter growouts of JMGs this past season.

Joseph

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

LoL tons of photos here too Joeseph... That is beautiful Joseph! You grow in the wintertime? I tried but got a bad infestation of bugs and had to rip out the vines..It was terrible.. I just about cried couldnt control the critters with neem oil...

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Blue blizzard opened yesterday..It is okay..Not real keen on it...:)

• jaynine
    14 years ago

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

For you Emma, Some off spring from your seeds.

Fran

The many blooms of Aomaraski, (will always be known to me as "Emma's Gift")
    {{gwi:373355}}

{{gwi:424832}}

{{gwi:373354}}

{{gwi:424834}}

{{gwi:424835}}

{{gwi:424836}}

{{gwi:424837}}

{{gwi:424838}}

berlin blue

seiryu

suigetsu

lavender mist

fuji frost

cocoa chocolate

Emma, now I need your help. I've mixed up the names of the following pics,
    gray haze, gray fog, gray mix. so tell me which ones are which.

{{gwi:424850}}

{{gwi:424865}}

14 years ago

Nice flower photos, everyone! Fran, the third photo from bottom looks just like one I am growing. Nice wide white margin and nice even grey color with slight reddish tube, so I will be interested in hearing the history of this beauty too.

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

I'm pretty sure it is emma's gray fog, but I want her to confirm it for me, for us and the other ones that I keep getting mixed up with. I did purchase it from emma, along with gray haze, gray mist.

It really is a different bloom, and I really like it.

EMMA, where are your?

Fran

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Hi Fran,

The first and last Gray blooms look like Gray Haze, however. None of those look like Gray Morning Mist. If one of these threw the two Grays in the middle with the wider margined Picotee edge. I find that very interesting. I would LOVE to have a few seeds from you of the wide margined bloom, and yours too Joseph. These will be neat to grow out for comparison, plus they should be great to do crosses with.

I'm still trying to figure out Photobucket and haven't had the chance yet to get back to it.
    SO -
    Do you get shot over hear for posting an eBay link???
    You do 'at the other place'.
    So, this isn't a sales pitch, just want you to see my Gray Morning Mist Photos
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=380158182686&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Also my Gray Morning Mist has continued to stay 'True' for me for a number of years now - and so has Gray Haze, so I will guess that if they came from any of these 3 grays, it would have to be Gray Fog, as Gray Fog did originally come from Japan with no name, but it has not bloomed for me with such a wide picotee. VERY NICE! I haven't grown Gray Fog in a couple of years except for a couple of crosses that I did with it, so I do need to grow it out again and see how they do for me.

Yes, Joseph, I agree those do look very much like your Gray Beauty.

I would think that one should deserve a name. My other Gray that I have crossed is a Shibori Gray and is so pretty. It is 'Silver Shadows'.

Thanks Fran for posting all of your great MGs for me. That is just awesome!
    And, they are all so beautiful.

Emma

• luvsgrtdanes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow I am loving this thread!!

Karyn you have quite a few I love and would love to grow!!

Fran I still love "Emma's Gift"!

Hi Jaynine!! I have a beautiful FS that you sent me that I love...have to upload it asap!

• luvsgrtdanes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is a FS from Jaynine that I will definitely grow again!!
    {{gwi:1348726}}

• luvsgrtdanes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Helena, I think most of us are using either PB or Picasa. In PB if you copy and paste the html code your pic will show in the thread.

• helena_z8_ms
    14 years ago

I use to be able to post pictures before from photobucket but it's been awhile since I used it and they have made changes. Thanks for the help. I'll try one more time to see if it works for me.

• luvsgrtdanes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Beautiful Helena!!

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

HI Emma,

I think it was 2 years ago, you had several different e-bay offers for MG seeds.

One was several types of different blue ones, each individually packaged and the other one was gray ones.

I got both of them.

I do specifically remember that the gray ones had the following separate packages.

Gray haze
    gray mist
    gray fog.

Gray morning mist is one of your new MG, and I have a couple of those seeds that I got from a trade last winter and are 4 inch vines outside with no buds so far.

Poisondartfrog, I'm pretty sure you sent me the seeds in our MG trade when we where trying to ID some of your blooms and you got the seeds from Emma.

Fran

• aker
    14 years ago

I'm having trouble posting pics here of my morning glories from Photobucket. What am I doing wrong???

Can someone give me a hint?

Thanks Aker

• luvsgrtdanes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Aker,
    when you go to PB mouse over your picture...a drop down box will appear with some codes...copy the one that reads HTML then paste it in your post and the picture appears!!

• karyn1
    14 years ago

If you are posting a number of pics I like the clickable thumbnails the best. They load much faster and for people with dial-up it really makes a difference. I didn't even realize that some people still use dial up. lol

• luvsgrtdanes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Karyn how do you do that?

14 years ago

Here is one I grew this year that looks a lot like Akatsuki no Haru. Big pink flowers and variegated leaves.

Joseph

• luvsgrtdanes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nice one Joseph!

• aker
    14 years ago

Lovely photos!! So many color combinations and shapes! Eye candy :-)

This is one that seeded itself from last year. I like the color.

• luvsgrtdanes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pretty Aker, I like the color too!!

• aker
    14 years ago

Heavenly Blue. One of my favorites :-)

• aker
    14 years ago

Another Grandpa Ott's?

14 years ago

Such nice photographs, Akers! Blue flowers really grab the eye out in the garden.

My deck container garden has mostly succumbed to leaf rust. The plants seem to still be developing seeds, thankfully. Sad to say there won't be too many more new flowers to photograph on the deck. The driveway container garden still has reason to get up early in the morning!

Good to see you here posting photographs, Helena!

Joseph

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Helena that last pic is a wowzer! Yummy do you have a name for it?

Aker lovin them... :)

Joseph That pink is my fav... She is a beautiful flower...

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Woot woot look what showed up today in my hige mg's..... I wish I knew their names... I need to put a piece of yarn on it... Bubbling happy mg person... Thanks Karyn :)

14 years ago

Nice hige flowers, Rosepedal! I like the vivid colors in those flowers, and so full with petals!

14 years ago

I grew this plant, Ipomoea albivenia, from a seed started 3 or so years ago. It flowered up in the second year, and has quite nice large fluffy white flowers with reddish tube. It opens at sunset, and has a fragrance that is quite reminiscent of that given off by Brugmansia. It makes a nice caudex root for those who like those types of plants like Desert Rose and others.

Joseph

14 years ago

Did someone say they liked pink flowers? Akatsuki no Mai would surely please you with its spectacular blizzard displays of pink and white!

Joseph

14 years ago

Here is a mutant JMG I grew a couple years ago - I really like the reverse tube flowers, and the lime green colored leaf was good contrast with the purple flower.

Joseph

• luvsgrtdanes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OMG Joseph the Ipomoea albivenia is beautiful!!

14 years ago

Last one for now: one I called Blue Streaks a few years ago...I had forgotten how variegated the leaves were on it, I must grow this one again!

• luvsgrtdanes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh I remember that blue one Joseph...I got the nice blue but never the reverse tube. Love it!!

14 years ago

Thank you, Ronnie! I am in awe whenever I see its flowers. It seems to be self-incompatible since it has yet to make a seed on its own, so I am growing another plant with hopes the new plant will be of a sufficiently different genetic makeup so that cross-pollination will result in a crop of seeds.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Joseph that Akatsuki no Mai is lovely. That's me with the pinks now. lol They are all beautiful. The Ipomoea albivenia sounds interesting. I like caudiciform plants, especially gnarled and twisted ones.

Ronnie something is screwy and I can't send any email. I keep getting a message that it's temporarily unavailable. As soon as I can send mail I'll send instructions on posting thumbnails.

• aker
    14 years ago

WOW, I love Gerris2's Blue Streak!! That's a beauty with the verigated foliage! Where can I find seeds for that one?

I'm partial to blue morning glories and next year would love to just have blues :-)

Happy gardening!

Aker

14 years ago

Is it time to start a continuation thread? My blackberry handheld device has a myocardial infarction when I try to load this page sometimes.

Thanks very much for your nice comments, Karyn and Aker. I am down to critical mass for the Blue Streaks, but will try to grow it next year...I will check to see how many seeds left I have and see if I can share one or two. Akatsuki no Mai has been giving in making seeds, so it would be available for anyone who wanted to try it.

Joseph

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Joesph that was a great read... The Ipomoea albivenia was found in 1830 in Zimbawee (sp)... The plant must love you! Being that it is a hard one to grow and slow at that from what I just learned.. I too love the claudiforms and brugs..Brugs are just a huge mg flower to me at least.. Thank you so much for sharing your plant with us..I have her down on my want list now and didnt know about her until you shared..:)You are lucky and got the red center instead of the yellow...She really pops..

Thank you for the nice comment on my higes..We just received some heat and the flowers are huge now... Love them.. I will always grow the higes....

Your mutant is wonderful with the reverse tube... That has to be tons of fun to see in person...

Blue streaks is a winner for sure. Your mg's are wonderful!...

Ronnie may we have a new thread please.. This is fun...

• luvsgrtdanes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is a link to the new thread...come on over

Here is a link that might be useful: Morning Glory Picture Thread #2

• taz6122
    14 years ago

This is my first year for growing any type of vines and the ones I grew did not do well with the wet weather we had this year. Mine are not as spectacular as a lot of yours but I thought this made a great picture.