Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this amazing vine??

Posted by lilokiegardener 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 14, 09 at 16:10

My neighbor planted this and it came through our fence. It smells absolutely amazing! The flowers look like mini orchids on spikes and are followed by purple pea-pod seed pods.

WHAT IS IT!!? My neighbor works a different schedule than me so I can't ask her! I would love to grow it, but would like to know more about it.

What is its name? Is it perennial, does it self sow or do I need to collect the pods? When should I collect them? When should I plant it?

Thanks so much!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this amazing vine??

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 14, 09 at 16:45

It looks like Hyacinth Bean on my cell phone screen; I have grown it a long time ago but didn't take time to smell the flowers. Maybe it is Corkscrew vine? That one is very fragrant.

Joseph

o

That's hyacinth bean for sure. It's an annual and you need to collect the seed pods for next year. It can self sow and actually become very invasive if you don't get all the seed pods, as it easily self sows.
On the other hand, you can easily pull up all the extra seedlings in the spring, if you don't want all of them where they come up.

I would collect as many of them as I could, If I where you, just to be safe on the self sowing part, or if you have my like, when you want seeds to self sow they never do and when you don't want them to, you have them everywhere.

Fran

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures and info on hyacinth bean vine

o

I agree with Fran, definitely Hyacinth Bean. There's a white variety too. They look really pretty growing together.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here