Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need vine ID

Posted by pattipi703 Oklahoma (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 07 at 16:16

I think this is a wild vine. It has two tiny sweet pea-like flowers together(but very tiny). Hanging below each pair of flowers is a 3-4" long pea pod & another "spike" that looks like a false pea pod. I know this souds like some kind of sweet pea, but the leaves are not like any pea I can find on the web. Each leaf has 3 rounded lobes, kind of like an oak lead. the vine is delicate also & quite beautiful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need vine ID

Hello pattipi703,
It sounds like phaseolus sinuatus. There are only a couple of images of it on google, but if you look for phaseolus polystachios on the USDA website there is one thumbnail of a vine with lobed leaves and a long stem of flowers. Also the spike that looks like a false peapod could be an immature pod. Hope this helps,
Dave.

o

Thanks, legumefinder. You.re right, the pics are pretty poor, however,on going down several rabbit trails on the subject, I found a pic of phaseolus polystachios that looks more like it. The leaves in the pic have more pointed lobes, but the material says there are many varieties. I don't think the spike is an immature bean, because every pair is identical. Thanks for your help. I have the vine on a small stick trellis & it is quite lovely whatever it is.

o

Do you have any seeds of this vine that you would like to swap for phaseolus filiformis seeds? I have over 50 of these seeds and will send all of them for about 8-10 of your seeds. I'll be glad to send my seeds out first, but I'll have to go get some stamps first.
Dave.

o

If you do have seeds and are interested in trading you can email me at seed4me@yahoo.com, just be sure to make the subject about seed trading.
Dave.

o

Hi Pat,
I got your last email and was wandering if you received my messages?

Dave.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here