Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Vine ID

karyn1
15 years ago

I thought this was some sort of morning glory but now I have no idea. It hasn't bloomed yet. There are multiple stems and the older ones are a little thinner then a pencil, dark brown and covered with little bumps while the rest of the stems are thin, smooth and red. I was thinking about taking it into the greenhouse over the winter to see if it will bloom but I want to know what it is first.

Thanks,

{{gwi:339360}}

{{gwi:339361}}

Comments (11)

• chazparas
    15 years ago

Karyn, could it be a wood rose vine?

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The leaves are wrong for a woodrose. I wonder if I'll ever get an ID on this plant? lol
    Karyn

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Karyn,
    I sent an email to Ron to see if he thought it was some type of Ipomoea. Hopefully he stops by to take a look. I know this has probably be driving you nuts since no one has been able to ID it.
    Remy

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much Remy. I usually get an ID pretty quick when I've posted an unknown but this one is driving me nuts! lol
    Karyn

• ron_convolvulaceae
    15 years ago

Hi Karyn - I tried to find a nice picture of a young plant on the web,but nothing is showing up right now...

The plant you posted looks like Merremia tuberosa (often mislabeled as Ipomoea tuberosa)...aka Hawaiian Woodrose or Large Hawaiian Woodrose...the seeds are large,black and are often covered in a black velvety fuzz...

The Baby Hawaiian Woodrose which is Argyreia nervosa has heart shaped leaves,but the larger Woodrose has leaves that look exactly like the photos you posted...

The leaves on relatively young plants are thinner and the veins do not show up as prominently as they do on older plant leaves...the leaves also broaden on plants that are more mature...

Hope that helps...

Ron

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much. I do remember planting something with the name Merremia tuberosa and recall large seeds. I didn't realize there was a different woodrose. I've grown the Baby Hawaiian Woodrose and those leaves were heart shaped. Is it worth letting this winter over in the greenhouse and planting it in a larger container next spring? I looked it up and saw that this can become a monster! Will it bloom if container grown?
    Karyn

• msbatt
    15 years ago

If you don't want it, I do! (*grin*)

• ron_convolvulaceae
    15 years ago

Hi Karyn - The Merremia tuberosa requires a very large container (50 - 100+ gallon) if it is to produce a very large vine with subsequent flowers...

I personally know of relatively few plants that have actually successfully flowered in 'captivity'...
    Florida,California and the warmest parts of the other gulf coastal states...it will flower in a heated greenhouse if allowed to grow to a large flowering size...

Hope that helps...

Ron

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's way to big even now to ship but if it's possible to root I'd be happy to send you some cuttings. The container size isn't a problem but I'll have to put it in the big greenhouse and that one is only heated to about 45 F at night over the winter. The daytime temps are much warmer when it's sunny. The greenhouse that I keep around 65-70 F doesn't have the space. I'll try it and see what happens. If it makes it over the winter great, if not, oh well, I tried.
    Karyn

• ron_convolvulaceae
    15 years ago

Hey Karyn - Thanks for the offer of cuttings,but I have enough of my own seedstock that I use for certain trades...

Merremia tuberosa is a late fall / early winter flowering species and develops the seeds during the later winter and early spring,so unless it is kept very warm during the winter,(although it may survive) it is unlikely to flower...

That's the story with the Merremia tuberosa...

Talk to you...

Ron

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Actually it was msbatt that wanted it but if you had that would have been fine as well. lol
    Karyn