Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Surprise, its a Morning Glory!

Posted by realityfaery 9b (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 17:24

A few of months ago, our neighbors and us put up a cinder-block wall between our two yards. Since putting it up, we had recently started to clean up the left over mess (such as picking up bits of concrete and leveling out the dirt). When we first started tackling the job about 2 months ago, I noticed what looked like two spindly looking vines trying their hardest to grow out of the hard concrete mixed dirt. Their roots semi exposed and winding around as much dirt as they possibly could. One was fairly larger than the other (neither longer than 12"), so I grabbed some left over pots and pulled them both up. I placed them up on little perches on the fence underneath our front tree, they get heavy shade. Since doing so they have taken off! This morning it gave me a wonderful surprise, a single bloom and low and behold, they are morning glories! Where the seeds came from I have no idea because I haven't seen Morning Glory vines in neighbor's yards.

So my main question is, I know they are highly invasive and I would hate to plant them in the ground and they take over, but I would also hate to destroy these two. Should I put them in pots? If so, how big of a pot should I get? I am ultimately hoping that they behave nicely in gardens here in California's Central Valley. Please help! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Surprise, its a Morning Glory!

Can you post photos of the plants so we can see what species you have (?)...the leaves , flowers, sepals would be very helpful...

There are thousands of different species in The Morning Glory Family of Convolvulaceae and they are NOT all invasive...

The people who 'automatically state that all Morning Glories are all invasive have experience with at best a couple of species (which they usually cannot even properly identify) and then proceed to apply their experience of 'invasive' upon the entire Family...which isn't exactly accurate...

The web is full of vast amounts of dis-information about Morning Glories...

Look forward to your photos which are worth a thousand words...

o

Thanks so much for the reply! This was something I was trying to explain to my mother the other day, she had been informed that all were invasive weeds that should be destroyed. She even suggested I destroy these little beauties, if they so happen to be an invasive species, I would love to attempt to still grow them in a more quarantined area. Here is a picture of what they look like:

o
RE: Surprise, its an Ipomoea purpurea Morning Glory

Thank you for the photo as it certainly doers assist the ID substantially.

The plant is the photo you posted is Ipomoea purpurea....and although frequently grown by many gardeners, they usually produce many seeds and can create many volunteers where you might not want them.

I'd suggest growing it in a container and / or deadheading to limit the number of seeds produced to collect for your own purposes.

Please click onto my homepage if you care to contact me via private message for any more specific recommendations which may not be warranted for posting here in the forums...

Hope the info helps...

regards,

Ron

o

Thank you so much Ron!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here