Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shade Loving/Humming bird Loving Vine?

Posted by jodie74 5 (crandalljodie@att.net) on
Tue, Sep 14, 10 at 18:11

I need a shade loving / hummingbird loving vine? Is there one? I'm zone 5 & this flower bed gets VERY little sun.

Jodie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shade Loving/Humming bird Loving Vine?

Depending on how much shade you have these might work:

Campsis radicans - Common Trumpet Creeper

Lonicera Mandarin - Privet Honeysuckle
Lonicera periclymenum - Woodbine
Lonicera sempervirens - Trumpet Honeysuckle

Wisteria sinensis - Chinese Wisteria

But those are just from a search engine (zone 5, vine, shade, hummingbird attractor) I'd check with a local gardener to be sure they will actually do well, and if it's very deep shade they probably won't. It's hard to find a flowering vine that will grow in full shade, and hummers like flowers. Boston Ivy and Porcelain Berry will grow in full shade in your zone, but I doubt they'd attract hummingbirds.

o

I don't know about the honeysuckles but the campsis radicans doesn't bloom well in shade. The shaded stems of my Amethyst Falls wisteria don't bloom that well either.

o

From an old thread in the GW Hummngbird Garden forum:

RE: Hummingbird-Attracting Vine for Shade?

* Posted by kelp 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 26, 06 at 7:59

I have 2 honeysuckles: Lonicera pericyclemenum 'Harlequin' and Lonicera serotina 'Florida' that are doing wonderful in mostly shade. Hope that helps you.

End of post.
Both vines listed at bottom left: Lonicera pericyclemenum
Link to above thread: Hummingbird-Attracting Vine for Shade?

A second thread has a wonderful name but all the vines I see in it would take part sun/part shade & are probably of no use to you with mostly shade. I'm including it in case there are non-vine shade plants that might interest you.

From GW Hummingbird Garden forum: Shade Loving Plants for Hummingbirds

Please update us here if you find a vine that works. I might want it, too, someday.

o

Not a vine, but I've had phlox in the shade this year, and the hummers just LOVED it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here