Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Confederate Jasmine

Posted by ruthz 8a D/FW TX (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 29, 10 at 18:14

Today I noticed seed pods on my Confederate Jasmine.
I've had it for years and it's never made seeds before.
Any info on this would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Confederate Jasmine

jeff_al wrote:

"my confederate jasmine makes a few seeds. you might look for those before they prune it. the pods are long and thin, somewhat bean-like or like a mini-catalpa pod. the seeds themselves are like giant dandelion seeds, with the little parachute at the top."

doityourself.com says:

Obtaining Your Jasmine seeds

Jasmine flowers can be pollinated by either insects, or by the gardener, taking care not to damage the flower stems. Once fertilized, the jasmine plants will start to produce jasmine seeds within a pod.

Jasmine plants produce bean-like seed pods, which need to be watched carefully if you intend to plant them in order to produce seedlings. These jasmine seeds pods can break open suddenly once the pod is ripe, and spill the seeds everywhere.

Catching the ripe pods before they open means that you can save the seeds: look for the pod turning brown, as this is the sign that it has ripened and is about to burst.

Preparing the Seeds

These seeds will need to be soaked prior to planting, in order to make them slightly softer. Once they have been soaked, plant them into a starting seed mix, and cover lightly with soil.

Jasmine seeds need to be kept warm in order to encourage germination, and if they are kept warm enough, the seeds should germinate within a month.

Transplanting the Seeds

Once a jasmine seed has begun to grow, the plant should be moved to a planter or small flower pot, using either a mixture of soil and fertilizer, or a combination of moss, bark, and fertilizer.

Bed the plant down in this, and water heavily. Once the jasmine has settled in to the pot, ensure that it is watered regularly, and does not dry out.

Jasmines grown from seedlings should be examined closely to ensure that they do not develop white rot and mold; seedlings grown in this way are vulnerable to a mold which causes the plant to develop black spots and rot away.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/growing-and-planting-jasmine-from-seeds#ixzz12Zibet91

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here