Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aker_gw

Pot size for growing M.G.'s

aker
14 years ago

Hi,

What is a good container size for growing morning glories? Does size influence flower production?

Thank you :-)

Aker

Comments (5)

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

Hi Aker,

I like to use 5 gallon size containers, but will grow the vines in smaller ones when I run out of the larger sized pots. I use plastic containers because I then don't have to water as frequently. I can't say anything on flower production...seems to me if the vine is in good draining soil and gets some plant food on occasion, the Japanese morning glory vines should flower well (Ipomoea nil). I have noticed in a subjective way that overcrowding a container will result in smaller flowers being produced in comparison to say a vine that does not have any other competition in the container.

Joseph

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

Aker,

I grow mine in either 10 or 12 inch plastic pots or 10 inch hanging pots. Use miracle grow potting mix for the soil and put some bark mulch on the top of the soil that helps to keep some moisture in the soil and keep the weeds down.

Some pics for you of them.

Mt fuji fushia

mt fuji light blue
    {{gwi:373360}}

early call blue
    {{gwi:373361}}

rose silk

aomaraski in a 10 inch pot going up the railing
    {{gwi:373354}}

dusty mauve

• aker
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi,

Thank you Gerris2 and littleonefb. Lovely photos!!

A couple more questions: how many seeds would you plant in a 5 gallon pot? Watering how often?

I would like to try growing them in smaller pots i.e the 5 gallon suggested size as I would like to grow more varieties. This year I used two very large, deep planters. The Grandpa Ott's and Blue Star have done well. This summer has been unusually hot and dry and I found the foliage would droop in the early afternoon. I was watering them sparingly every couple of days. Should I have just given them a big drink once every week instead?

Morning Glories are so beautiful :-)

Aker

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

Akier,

If you want to grow more varieties, try smaller pots that even 5 gallon ones. The pots in my pics are either 10 inch or 12 inch plastic pots. Uses far less soil with those size pots.

I have 1 seedling in each of the pots I grow. I plant them in the center of the pot, except for the ones that I want growing up the railing. Those get 1 seedling that is put close to the edge of the pot and that side is along the railing.

I water my pots every other day, along with all my garden beds. My town is on a mandatory every other day watering, so can't water more than that.

It's not that uncommon for the leaves to wilt a bit in the afternoon from the heat and sun, but bounce right back when they sun is more off them and it's later in the day.

Even the ones in the ground do that as well.

Give the pots you have a good watering to soak all of the soil and every other day should do it.

Fran

• aker
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Fran :-)

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA