Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pot size for growing M.G.'s

Posted by aker 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 3, 09 at 18:18

Hi,

What is a good container size for growing morning glories? Does size influence flower production?

Thank you :-)

Aker

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pot size for growing M.G.'s

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 3, 09 at 18:30

Hi Aker,

I like to use 5 gallon size containers, but will grow the vines in smaller ones when I run out of the larger sized pots. I use plastic containers because I then don't have to water as frequently. I can't say anything on flower production...seems to me if the vine is in good draining soil and gets some plant food on occasion, the Japanese morning glory vines should flower well (Ipomoea nil). I have noticed in a subjective way that overcrowding a container will result in smaller flowers being produced in comparison to say a vine that does not have any other competition in the container.

Joseph

Calystegia spp Fukui Japan 1

o

Aker,

I grow mine in either 10 or 12 inch plastic pots or 10 inch hanging pots. Use miracle grow potting mix for the soil and put some bark mulch on the top of the soil that helps to keep some moisture in the soil and keep the weeds down.

Some pics for you of them.

Mt fuji fushia
Photobucket

mt fuji light blue
lt blue mt fuji 4"

early call blue
early call blue/lavender

rose silk
rose silk 9/1

aomaraski in a 10 inch pot going up the railing
emma/aomaraski 8/19

dusty mauve
dusty mauve silk 4"

o

Hi,

Thank you Gerris2 and littleonefb. Lovely photos!!

A couple more questions: how many seeds would you plant in a 5 gallon pot? Watering how often?

I would like to try growing them in smaller pots i.e the 5 gallon suggested size as I would like to grow more varieties. This year I used two very large, deep planters. The Grandpa Ott's and Blue Star have done well. This summer has been unusually hot and dry and I found the foliage would droop in the early afternoon. I was watering them sparingly every couple of days. Should I have just given them a big drink once every week instead?

Morning Glories are so beautiful :-)

Aker

o

Akier,

If you want to grow more varieties, try smaller pots that even 5 gallon ones. The pots in my pics are either 10 inch or 12 inch plastic pots. Uses far less soil with those size pots.

I have 1 seedling in each of the pots I grow. I plant them in the center of the pot, except for the ones that I want growing up the railing. Those get 1 seedling that is put close to the edge of the pot and that side is along the railing.

I water my pots every other day, along with all my garden beds. My town is on a mandatory every other day watering, so can't water more than that.

It's not that uncommon for the leaves to wilt a bit in the afternoon from the heat and sun, but bounce right back when they sun is more off them and it's later in the day.

Even the ones in the ground do that as well.

Give the pots you have a good watering to soak all of the soil and every other day should do it.

Fran

o

Thank you Fran :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here