Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beckyinrichmond

best way to clean up dead morning glories

beckyinrichmond
10 years ago

This year I planted morning glories to grow on a chain link fence across the back and they are gorgeous! Very lush growth, beautiful flowers now that they're finally blooming. My question: which is the easier way to remove dead vines when they are killed by frost? Should I remove them while they are still flexible or wait until they are brittle?

Comments (6)

• luvsgrtdanes
    10 years ago

I personally find it easier to remove them when they are still flexible.

• beckyinrichmond
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. Another question: can the vines go into a compost pile? If so, do they need to be cut up or can a whole glop of vines be added?

• alisonoz_gw
    10 years ago

Almost anything organic can be composted. An ideal mix breaks down quicker with smaller pieces, but there is no reason why you can't just toss your vines on your compost pile. You just may need to fork it around a bit more when you add other material and wait a bit longer .

• ron_convolvulaceae
    10 years ago

beckybeck - Could you click onto my homepage and send me a message, as I would like to discuss something you might find interesting about Morning Glories in a private message.

Thanks,

regards,

Ron

• ron_convolvulaceae
    10 years ago

Hi Becky - I did receive a message from you , but since you have chosen not to reveal your e-mail to me , I am unable to convey what must be conveyed in private.

Here is an extract from the message I received:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The following is the e-mail message was received from
    beckybeck

gardenweb_user@gardenweb.com
    I can't reply to the above address

(PLEASE NOTE: The member responding to your post has chosen not to reveal his or her email address. Therefore, you cannot reply to this message via email.)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Should you choose to take me up on my interest to convey something via a private message , I would need an e-mail to communicate with you...I am not a spammer, I have nothing to sell and I don't give out anybodies e-mail.

Take a look at my homepage again , look at what I have stated and see if you can engage in an intelligent guesstimate on what I might be willing to extend to you...

I understand if you are extremely privacy conscious and that I might be related to the 'Mad Hitler/Manson Spammer' or even something worse (like the NSA) , but I assure you, that isn't the case.

I've been very well integrated into the Morning Glory Community ever since there was one on any site in the entire world on the the web and actually long before that and if you choose to decline, I will understand , although I am not able to invest more time into this than I already have.

So, you're choice.

Enjoy your Gardening in any case...

regards,

Ron

• beckyinrichmond
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The frost has killed enough of the vines so they don't look pretty anymore so I took them down this afternoon. It was not as hard as I thought it would be. The vine's original stem was wound through the fence in its way to the top, but once it got to the top, it just lay on top and other vine growth lay on top of that. It was indeed a tangled mass of vines but it wasn't attached to the fence, other than the first stem. I cut some vines up and added them to my compost pile with shredded leaves but I have a huge ball of tangled vines that I'm going to leave in a pile by itself. I put it next to the compost pile so hopefully the two piles will help heat each other. I'm glad I got them off while the vines were flexible. It was fairly easy to get the vines off that were wound through the fence. I snipped every few inches and unwound the pieces.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH