Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arctictropical

Pics of Blue Moon wisteria, zone 4

arctictropical
14 years ago

Here are a couple of pics of Blue Moon Wisteria. Can't say enough good about this one. It bloomed the first year I bought it as a one gallon container plant, and has bloomed each year. This is it's third year.

Comments (16)

• sekhment
    14 years ago

Beautiful

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

It is very beautiful! Is Wisteria a fragrant flower?

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

Wow a beauty!! Wisteria is a favorite of mine! I can't find a good place for it though...we had one and it ate our garage!! LOL

Joseph it is highly fragrant!! Almost intoxicating

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! This one if perfectly hardy to zone 3. gerris2, yes, wisteria is very fragrant. The Asian varieties have the best fragrance, almost like a perfume. The American varieties like this one have a nice fragrance, but not so strong, and not as sweet as the Asian varieties. ronnie17, I've never heard of "Joseph". Is it Asian or American? Must be Asian.

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

Artictropical...Joseph is Gerris not a wisteria!! Although he is very sweet I don't know how he smells and he definitely isn't Asian!! ⺠LOL!

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

[giggling - no not Asian but have visited Asia once - Japan] I like fragrance in vine flowers. wow can't grow it tho if it is such a strong grower.

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was in Japan for two years and saw the most beautiful wisteria all over the country in the Spring time. They have a great love for this plant and the geisha adorn their hair with artificial wisteria flowers. The Japanese go to great lengths to create supports for the vines. Some wisteria appeared to be hundreds of years old. They will quite often create wisteria trees that cover a large area, with supports to keep the vines in a horizontal, artistic design. It, along with bonsai, bamboo, azalea, cherry trees and other Japanese landscape plants, help give Japan it's culture.

• ilovegardening2005
    14 years ago

I wanted to comment on that impressive wisteria vine. It is a more rosy purple and nice too! I have huge wisteria in shrub form in my yard that is the most common purple. I have a white wisteria but it seems to be creeping along. Karen

• skippy05
    14 years ago

Beautiful!!

• mary_mo
    14 years ago

OMG It is like heaven!!! I tried to trade with a man from new york, but he totally renigged!! You are lucky!! cadaverknee@hotmail.com

• pjandmommy
    14 years ago

nice pics.now i want one lol. I will post looking for tip cuttings of this variety myself to try and save money.i want to tree form it for my new front yard but youre vine is lovely also.i had a chinese one growing at my old home tho it was a small one and hadnt grown much yet when we moved.my new yards are tiny compared so a tree form american variety would probably be best.i lost my garden when we moved last spring into a beautiful brick cottage type house that my husbands grandma left him and this would be perfect for the focus of my brand new garden im planning.my new house has only a few old neglected shrubs so i want to start getting some ideas for plants that would suit this style of home because i sure miss my massive yard and many many blooming plants that i had to leave behind.i was supposed to bring my plants id sold plants on ebay for years and had probably thousands of different plants and bulbs in that yard and wanted to dig out beds here last summer and move the gardens in fall. i was attacked by a pit bull last july and was hospitalised with staph infection so am lucky to have survived . during all of that my old house sold and someone else now has all of my plants. :( thx for the info on this because ive been looking all over for pics of an actual plant and info on its scent .i didnt want the variety that smells like cat pee when it blooms ..spring hill is having a sale for $20 in free plants if you pay ship and blue moon is $19.99 so if i cant find someone w tip cuttings i may buy it but if i can save the $10 shipping by getting cuttings id be so happy.

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi pjandmommy. What about seeds? I have plenty of seed of 'Blue Moon' that I could send you. Regarding the scent, it isn't as sweet and perfumed as the chinese wisteria, but it certainly doesn't smell bad!

• vettin
    14 years ago

Can these be trained to self support?

Any tips on sun/partial shade and feeding?

Thank you

• rjinga
    14 years ago

Since there seemed to be knowledgeable wisteria owners here already, I hope you dont mind me asking another question.

I have a white wisteria that flowered for the first time last year and only a handful of blooms, I was about to trim it back this year (advice/comments from another post) and didn't get around to it, THANK GOODNESS I WAS A PROCRASTINTOR..the very next week or so, that vine was absolutely loaded with flowers that are just heavenly (to behold and to smell, intoxicating is just about dead on).

Anyhoo, WHAT can be done to prolong the life of the flowers? mine seem to be so short lived, and I hate that. I just adore the way they smell and look and would like to know if anything can be done to the plant to help it keep them longer.

here are a few pics of it

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi vettin! Regarding self training, I believe you can train any wisteria to self support (you end up with a tree wisteria) if you brace it until in develops it's own sturdy trunk. You will need to prune it severely every year like you would would a fruit tree, in order to shape it into a tree-like plant. In fact, I've heard it helps to prune it like you would an apple tree, which might help it to bloom earlier. Shade is not the best for wisteria. It may not bloom the best, or bloom at all, without good sunlight. However, you do see them growing up into trees, so they will bloom in partial shade. (Just not as well as in full sunlight). Good luck!

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi rjinga! Your white wisteria is beautiful! Glad it bloomed for you so well. I assume you have an oriental wisteria variety that blooms on old wood. I've got a chinese wisteria that, after about 15 years, put out some blooms during the summer for the first time. I've always pruned it back severely each Spring, which is supposed to encourage blooming. Who knows if pruning it back more than you did, might create even more blooms in the long run, for future years....??? With the american varieties that bloom on new wood, I'm not sure if pruning it back helps as much, since mine blooms well every year, and has done so even from it's first year, but I think pruning it back helps it to grow healthier, more vigorous vines from which to bloom from, so I end up pruning it back for size control and beauty. How do you make the flowers last longer? I wish I knew. I don't know if you can do anything to help the flowers last longer. Maybe someone else on the forum might be able to suggest something.