Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madabouteu

help needed with ID

madabouteu
13 years ago

I have been searching for hours, literally, for an ID for a vine that is growing on the fence at the local Co-op Extension office - teh Horticultural agent is stumped! The vne is perennial, with a base resembling a grapevine - indeed, the whole vine's appearance is reminiscent of a grapevine except for the leaves. The leaves are deltoid, simple, serrate, unlobed, slightly acuminate. Tendrils are few, and short, but soon thicken to the diameter of a shoelace, staying green. Leaves do not seem to follow a pattern; some are in pairs, some are not. I do not remember seeing bloooms, so they must not be very prominent. I believe the vine is deciduous. It currently has abundant fruit; these are berries the size of a large English pea and are a medium reddish purple at first, later becomng a very dark reddish purple. The pulp is very white and opaque. The odor of the fruit and of the crushed leaves is not remarkable. The clusters of fruit - I do not have the correct term, but the arrangement is similar to that of Ampelopsis, which it definitely is not!

Thanks in advance for any leads. Tomorrow I hope to take a photo and post it.

Comment (1)