AND

The dark blue one is solid/no picotee.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (11)

• littleonefb
    13 years ago

Jaynine,

the gray is grey fog.

The blue, is hard to answer without a pic of the full flower.

Can you post a pic of the full bloom?

Fran

• jaynine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Fran. This is the only other picture I've taken of the blue. It's an I. nil, but I failed to keep records and took out the labels when I planted them. It's still blooming sporadically, though the flowers are getting progressively smaller. I love the color of both of them. Are there any solid ones with that 'gray' color?

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

Janine,
    I think I may have sent you the Gray Fog in one of the group swaps last year. I also have one that is very similar to the second one-Hatsu arashi, but I can't remember if I sent any of that one.
    I have seen a lot of lovely grays lately.
    Alana

• ruthz
    13 years ago

Jaynine,
    I'm growing these this year.
    Gray Morning Mist
    Was blooming a small 2" solid gray until the weather cooled

Gray Haze per Emma

Could this be your blue one?
    It's a large dark silky royal blue
    Akatsuki no Umi
    Hatsu Arashi is similar color but smaller flower

• poppy_power
    13 years ago

Pretty!M.Glories.

• jaynine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. I just dug up a notebook with a list of vines I sowed this year: among them was 'Gray Morning Mist' & 'Blizzard Blue'--both from you, Alana. Could my blue be a mutated form of that? It isn't ruffly like 'Akatsuki' and I didn't sow any 'Hatsu', though I've grown it in the past and love it. The leaves are solid green, by the way. Regardless of their names, I'm enjoying them so much!
    PS One of my favorites this year is Ipomoea hederifolia var. lutea. Thanks, Alana!
    My very favorite morning glory of 2010 is Ipomoea nil 'Chocolate' (from Fragrant Path). It was the first to bloom and has been the most floriferous of the bunch.

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

Jaynine does "Chocolate" have a white picotee edge sometimes, or have all of your blooms looke like those? They are lovely!

• emmagrace2
    13 years ago

Jaynine
    Your first 2 photos look to be the same plant???
    They also seem to have a Light Plum color???
    It is hard to tell in those photos. If they are for sure 'Gray', they look like Gray Morning Mist to me, and Ruth's AWESOME photos look exactly like my Gray Morning Mist, as well as does her 'Gray Haze'. At the time I first crossed Gray Morning Mist, I also had another growing close that was a Pale Plum color that could have possibly gotten in with some of my seeds ???
    Another thing is that Gray Morning Mist has continued to grow true for now 5-years without fail and is a terrific bloomer.
    I haven't grown Gray Fog in about 3 years and don't remember that they had a complete White Picotee edge [but I could be wrong about this without looking back at my photos].

Your Awesome Blue looks to me like:
    Akatauki no Umi
    [You can see this at google search - read the last of this post - look at the photo by 'bluespiral'. Some of the others posted are mutations which I have never seen from Akatsuki no Umi, but you never know]

Hatsu Arashi
    [You can see this at google search for 'Akatauki no Umi' as well - read the last of this post - it is the very first photo posted]
    is at the same entry in the PlantFiles, but is incorrectly posted there.
    'Hatsu Arashi' and 'Akatsuki no Umi' look identical EXCEPT for their leaves
    Hatsu Arashi leaves are NOT Variegated and
    Akatsuki no Umi DOES have Variegated leaves

Another MG that looks almost identical to Akatsuki no Umi, and also has Variegated leaves is
    'Berlin Blue'

I have grown all 3 and they are all incredible MGs.
    Also, I have noticed these are almost the first ones to bloom for me when I grow them

Hope this helps
    Emma

PS:
    Ruth, your MGs are INCREDIBLE!

PPS:

EDITED TO ADD:
    I had links above but GW won't let me post them because they are at 'you know where'. So, do a google search on Akatsuki no Umi and you will see the photos I mention at 'you know where'.

• emmagrace2
    13 years ago

Ruth,
    Your Blue MGs also look to me like 'Akatsuki no Umi',
    OR
    Possibly 'Berlin Blue'

• jaynine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Alana~this 'Chocolate' has bloomed strictly completely solid, though I believe it's mostly offered under that name with the white picotee. It grew, bloomed and is producing seeds very well despite the drought. It's isolated, so the seeds should come true.
    Emma~yes, the first two pics are of the same plant and yes again, it is 'plummy' and has solid green leaves. The blue also has solid green leaves, so it's likely 'Hatsu Arashi' that I mislabeled or something--it happens!
    I haven't grown alot of JMGs, but have received many in swaps/round robins and had a hard time choosing which ones to sow. I can see why people become 'addicted'. I'm already thinking about which ones to try next year!
    Thanks,
    Janine

• emmagrace2
    13 years ago

You are welcome Janine,

Oh Yes!
    Growing JMG's IS very addicting, but such fun!

Emma

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting