Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Morning Glory Identification

Posted by VineWorld none (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 20:52

Hi, i've got this MG and its not being so easy to ID, if anyone could help it would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Morning Glory Identification

close up

o

I forgot to mention its leaves get to be 6" by 6", mostly tri-lobed, the whole plant (besides cotyledons) is completely pubescent, they are erect, white hairs, and quite sharp if rubbed against. The flowers are 2 3/4" big.

o

Also wanted to add that this has grown from a seed to what it is now, in two months.

This picture shows cotyledons.

o

Here is the backside of the flower.

o
RE: Morning Glory Identification...Ipomoea nil SOH

The binomial would be Ipomoea nil and what would generally fall into the cultivar "Scarlett O'Hara" category...

You seem to know alot about what parts to show for a good ID...

I'm curious to know what part of the country / world you are located in and in what USDA climate zone...

o

Hi Ron, Thanks, I try my best to learn from others on DG about proper Identification, and I'm glad I did so. I saw you weren't active on there and no else could ID it so I came here. I am an aspiring novice in MG's but I do learn quick, and I've collected quite a few different MG's to start.
I'm in zone 8a, Montgomery, AL.

o
Another MG

I have one more MG I was wondering if you could ID please, I found it in the wild.
Its pubescent, has small round buds (no flowers yet unfortunetly) the cotyledons in this picture do not belong to the big MG, but was a smaller MG that was close to it, and it has a bud on it very similar so I am thinking that it is what the big one is. The cotyledons of the big MG were gone when I found it.

o

Here it is

o

Close up of small one's cotyledons.

o

The bud.

o

Other bud. (it has a bud for just about every leaf).

o

Wolf - The vines you have further questions about posted here :

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/vines/msg092052201491.0914092825587.jpg

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/vines/msg092052201491.0914102526636.jpg

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/vines/msg092052201491.0914112221432.jpg

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/vines/msg092052201491.0914140723975.jpg

are most likely either I.purpurea , Ipomoea hederacea or I.nil...my thoughts are that they are most likely I.hederacea or I.purpurea as the sepals (on those still relatively small buds) look to be a bit longer and thinner than what would usually be seen at that stage for I.purpurea ...as long as there is no 'critical' rush , why don't you wait until the buds form some more or until actual flowering and a definitive ID can be given at that point , rather than play and guessing games at this point if it is not really necessary...

What do you think (?)

o

Well thank you Ron for your help, I am indeed in a small rush as I'll be moving within a few weeks and was wondering whether it was worth taking with me or not, if I already had the seeds for it I would of just left it but if not I would like to take it. I do appreciate your advice and will consider it with much thought.

Yes, regarding that thread I have come to understand that MGs can vary greatly with their leaves and they are not generally a good identifier, unless blatantly obvious (i.e. cypress vine) and I will try harder in the future to correctly ID plants. Thank you for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here