Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wild vines going crazy - side of roads/tree

Posted by steelskies 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 21:27

I never noticed this vine before, but it seems to be everywhere these days. I don't have a picture yet. It has rather pretty green leaves and tons of small whitish flowers. It is growing everywhere along the roadsides and on trees, and I'm sure it will kill many trees this way. It is now growing all over my pines and they will be killed if I don't do something fast. I'll try to post picture soon. Its not the autumn clematis. Has way different leaves and flowers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wild vines going crazy - side of roads/tree

Might be wild cucumber vine....
Does it look like these in the website?

Here is a link that might be useful: wild cucumber vine

o

I think that's it. It seems very invasive. I haven't noticed this before. Maybe its just starting to take over everything.

o

Might be what I call Autumn Clematis, and I dislike it.
There are one or two rampant clematis with small creamy or white flowers that might be in gardens and definitely are on the roadsides at this time.

o

no is not autumn clematis because I have that growing somewhere else. I hope to post a picture. Thanks.

o

steelskies.....please include a close up of the leaves....

o

It might be Virginia Creeper. It has rampant growth, can kill trees, and don't let it get on your house. Its very difficult to get rid of. The birds eat the berries and spread it for great distances. We have been fighting it for several years. Finally our neighbors have realized that it can take over their garden and have removed it, but it will probably come back and they will have to be vigilant about getting rid of it through the years.

o

Sounds like Polygonum convolvulus, 'tis the season for it in Z5.

o

shymilfromchi: No it isn't virginia creeper. But I do have that all over my farm and its killing alot of trees. But the one I'm trying to find out about has white flowers, and much different leaves than virginia creeper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here