Is it Ipomoea tricolor?

Joseph

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

She is pretty :)

• aker
    Original Author
    14 years ago

HI, I think it was called "Light Blue Star". It's a very light blue with a pinky mauve star. Lot's of flowers!! This one also self seeded from last year.

• jaynine
    14 years ago

This is the one I know as 'Blue Star'.

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

There is an established name for Ipomoea tricolor strain like jaynine's flower called Blue Star. The flower in Aker's photo I believe is Ipomoea purpurea. You can tell the two apart by looking at the shape of the sepals. I think you can tell in general terms the two species apart by looking at how the seed capsules are held from the vine: purpurea seed capsules hang downward pendantly and tricolor seed pods tend to be held upright or nearly so.

Here's my Blue Star I grew a couple years ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Valuable field ID characters to tell common species apart

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Sue,
    Very Pretty!

Your MG looks to me like Ipomoea purpurea
    Pale Scalloped Blue aka: Sydney

Here is photo of mine that I grew last year

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

HMMM,

Emma, that pic doesn't look anything like the sydney I've been growing for several years, including this year. that is until the skunk decided to dig out the vine looking for bugs, and I didn't get it back in the ground because of the pouring rain. So the chipmunk came along and went off with the vines before I could get either of them.

Anyways, my seeds came from Ronnie a couple of years ago and look like this.

and sometimes they are more pink

and the flowers are about 2 inches in size.

Last year Burpee was selling packets of seeds in the stores that they didn't have on line.
    They where calling them Blue Star and described as "large 5 inch white flower with true blue striped accents open early in the morning and stay open on cloudy days. great for groundcovers. annual".

Hubby picked up the packet for me because I was looking for "the blue star" MG, the one I call "real blue star" and he saw the name was what I wanted.

Friend and I decided to keep the packet and sow some to see what we got.
    There where about 40 seeds in the packet and they all where the light tannish color seed and all where the classic shape of the tricolor seeds of heavenly blue, flying saucer etc.

Sent some of the seeds out to some friends across the country to seattle, california, austin texas, Utah, Illinois, and Florida and I sowed 10 seeds myself.

9 of 10 germinated, I kept 2, and gave the rest to friends to grow in their yards and some where 1 zone warmer than me.

To keep things safe, we kept the seedlings separate from each other and all but 1 of mine grew a similar flower to Aker's, Everyone that I sent the seeds to grew similar to akers as well.

I got to be the lucky one. I got one similar to Aker's MG and the other one was my "real blue star".

Now you wonder was it white. No way, was it white. bluish lavendar with a darker lavender star. now ay does it look like the pick on the packet or anywhere near the color and the flower size all over the country was about 3-3 1/2 inches.
    The seed pods from this one all grew just like the tricolor facing towards the sky and the seeds where the same as the one in the packet that hubby got, tricolor shape seeds

No white with blue strips here
    {{gwi:424839}}

But the other one I had bloomed like this

Alas, I got seeds from it too but none of them germinated in the soggy rain we had.

Burpee doesn't have them on their website this year either.

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

Pretty!!!

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Very Pretty Fran . . .

All of your photos are Ipomoea purpurea except the last is Blue Star Tricolor. Yours looks to be a very pale Blue. Very Nice!

My I. purpurea also had tan seeds, but they were not shaped like I. tricolor seeds. Also, some were a deeper color blue than others.

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

• emmagrace2
    14 years ago

Also this MG stayed open all day and turned to a Pink as they blooms aged at the end of the day

• aker
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi again

Confusing isn't it? To add to the confusion I believe I got these seeds from Thompson and Morgan, Here is a pic and description:

http://www.tmseeds.com/product/4603.html

I did have some sydney seeds planted too this year.

Am enjoying all your photos :-) Blue morning glories are my favorite :-) Please keep them coming!!

Aker