Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hyacinth Bean Vine...is there time left for blooming?

Posted by juanital 5b/6a OH (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 07 at 22:04

With the nights having dipped down to 37 on up to lower 40's for about week, I notice that what blooms on mg's are blooming smaller...The Hyacinths leaves are changing color slightly and see no buds...:( were suppose to have nice summery weathery for the rest of week with nights in upper40-50's...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hyacinth Bean Vine...is there time left for blooming?

Hyacinth Bean can take a little cold, but not too much. Just wait, if you don't get blooms, try to plant earlier next year. :) Arum

o

Thanks, Arum...I do believe yoour right about planting earlier...I think planted maybe mid to late May...

Juanita

o

Don't give up hope - I have some I just planted toward the middle of July and they are getting ready to bloom any day now. I knew it was risky to plant so late but the unseasonably hot weather is helping. I have found that planting too early in May doesn't usually work where I live. Good luck!

o

Juanita, actually Cassie is quite correct. If the bean is planted too early, say when the ground is cold, the beans will do nothing, but rot, or just hang around till the ground gets warm. Many times they even winter over, waiting for the day when the sun shines nice and warm, and the ground is like a cozy bed. Therefore the best game plan is to plant as soon as the ground is toasty, and there isn't any fear of a cool day. :) Happy beaning! :) Arum

o

I think the plant is African and needs warmth to grow and bloom. I had bought the seed in southern Maine, around July 4, to plant at a friend's house there, but decided it was too late. Planted them in little pots around that time and took them home. They have been blooming for two weeks and I may get seed. I assume, from recent weather reports about Maine,zone 5, that they never would have gotten big enough to bloom before the cold hit. I think it would work if they could be started early in zone 5 in a heated greenhouse or under lights with a heating cable underneath.

o

Thank you all much...I will keep in mind yur opinions and suggestions for next year....guess what I found today?...Yep--a few blooms...I am so hoping they'll bloom like crazy...I'll post a pic in a few days...can't wait for their aromatic beauty! Thanks again...

Juanita

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here