Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spacing for crossvines

Posted by laura2009 Zone 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 9, 09 at 22:38

Hi all! I'm new to gardening, and to this site, so I'm hoping that someone here might be able to shed some light....

I have a block-wall fence in my backyard with a trellis attached to the top of it. This was done by the previous owners to partially block the view of the plumbing company behind the house. Since the owner of the company parks his trucks behind our house and is now storing empty toilets against his side of the trellis, we need to block the view completely. I plan to plant crossvines, but I'm not quite sure how to space them. The block wall is 5-6 feet tall, and the trellis above adds about another 2 feet. I want to train the vines to grow up the wall and to spread over the trellis (as opposed to covering the entire brick surface AND the trellis). I was thinking about planting them about 10 feet apart--I'd like the view covered ASAP, but I don't want to create a problem in the long run by planting them too close together. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spacing for crossvines

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 10, 09 at 7:25

Welcome to the vines forum and to gardening! I have no direct knowledge on crossvines but recall seeing somewhere they should do the job for covering up the view. I hope it is not a species that could get out of control for you being in Zone 10?

Joseph

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here