Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtdiva39

overgrown wisteria

dirtdiva39
14 years ago

Help! I'm freaking out a bit because I think I may have done something that will upset my boss....some background story required....

I have recently started renovating a beautiful piece of property that was let go for the last decade. There is a long and narrow pergola (?) around the pool and it was planted with a wisteria and looks like there was a honeysuckle vine on both sides of it. (about 10 feet on either side) When I started to dig into the mess today it ended up all on the ground!!!! Everything was completely tangled up and there was dead sticks rotting underneath (looked mostly like dead honeysuckle cuz I could see the berries and leaves). I'm worried because I know he was particularly fond of this wisteria and it is effectively cut down to two spindly vines right now!! (The beautiful trunk is twisted around the post and I cleaned up all the stuff sticking out of it and trailing along the ground and suffocating all the other plants near by...) Apparantly it ran the length of the pergola at one time and was very abundant. I highly doubt if it ever flowered.

How long will it take to grow back? How long do they usually get to???? Can anyone convince me (and hence my boss) that I did the poor tangled, overgrown, spindly plant a favor????

The honeysuckle plants ended up coming right out....they didn't look like they'd done anything in a long time....

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm