Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerris2

Heian no Izumi Japanese Morning Glory

This vine should be in everyone's vine garden. I grew it from a seed that came from a Japanese seed company foil packet. It was the last seed in the packet, and I wanted to grow the vine to make more seeds to preserve the strain in the collection. It has made enormous flowers of deep lavender purple and has nicely variegated leaves. It is a treat to see, glowing on the trellis, in the early morning light.

Joseph

Comments (15)

• thistle
    14 years ago

That is a beauty!My Japanese M.G's did nothing this year,tiny blooms on very short Vines. I am so disappointed,I was really looking forward to seeing them.

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Thistle,

Maybe we can learn from your experiences in growing the JMG vines? Can you describe how you were growing the vines, such as how much sun exposure, were they in the ground or in containers? It was not a good spring season in many parts of North America for growing JMG with the cold wet spring weather making for a late start to the season which for you is shorter than for gardeners who live farther south.

Which JMG strains were you growing?

Joseph

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

Nice one Joseph!! Love the color!

• primrose1x3
    14 years ago

Hi Joseph & Ronnie,

Just wanted to say hello, you two already know me. I can't resist, so for the time being I'll make you guess who I am - lol - can't believe I can be this silly this late in life. Hopefully GW will let me change my member name to match the one I'm more commonly known by.

I hope Thistle responds to your questions, Joseph. Learning from situations that morning glories balk at is educational for all of us, I think. My MGs balk at producing seed when planted late here, so I finally learned my lesson and have them in pots - tiny ones, but amazing how much vine and flowers grow out of a styrofoam coffee cup. I wonder if Thistle is growing hers in any kind of container? That would increase her growing season where she is.

Do you remember an old custom of sending lighted candles floating down a river? Sounds like a celebratory thing to do for almost anything, imho. Imagine using one of the giant nils for sails - Ipomoea nil 'Heian no Izumi' looks perfect for the job. Gorgeous flower - thanks for posting it.

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

Prim how about a hint at least!!

• primrose1x3
    14 years ago

index?

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

I think I have it...will I be doing a "Spiral" dance of some sort if I am right!?

• primrose1x3
    14 years ago

Yes - for both of us - lol

Hurricane Isabel & DG & the internet all happened at about the same time to me, and what with the blue flames from lightning-hit transformers in the night and trees exploding during the storm and NASA's Picture of the Day going on about spiral shapes of hurricanes & sunflowers and me trying to think up a moniker for DG - that's how Bluespiral got thunked up. But I don't dance anymore, so you dance for both of us :)

fun pic of the day - http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap030925.html

nice to see ya, Ronnie -

Karen

• luvsgrtdanes
    14 years ago

Often wondered where your name came from!! Always a pleasure to see you too!

Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Karen and Ronnie, good to see you here.

I like the name Bluespiral. It reminds me of one of my favorite childhood games where one could draw cool spiral shapes using templates and colored pens.

I think this flower of Heian no Izumi is larger than the flowers of Blue Silk this year. It might be a container effect. Heian no Izumi is one plant in a 5 gallon container and Blue Silk is maybe 10 plants in a 5 gallon container.

Joseph

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Beautiful Joseph! Nice to meet you Karen..Barb

Original Author
    14 years ago

This strain also produced less than expected number of seeds. I am happy to have them so I can keep this strain going in my collection.

• dragonsmist
    14 years ago

love the purple bloom.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, dragonsmist.

• primrose1x3
    14 years ago

Hi All, adding my appreciation of Joseph's gorgeous photography. If you could see the pitiful specimen of Heian no Izumi now languishing in a styrofoam cup over here, not to mention the even MORE pitiful photo I took of it, then you would know the magnitude of my appreciation for Joseph's cosmic rendition of same.

I'm hoping once I get it and its relatives inside where its warmer, with better control of light and humidity, that things might perk up.

Maybe my vines will live long enough for my photographyNOT skills to improve :)

Very inspiring, Joseph

Karen