Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify Vine and best transplant options

Posted by djhurt1 Nebraska (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 23:37

Hello, we have some climbing vines on the side of our house. They've been there since I was a child and I need to remove them but don't want to destroy them. This is very dry clay type soil so it's difficult to dig more than 6". I've tried moving them and thought I got all the root but I believe I may have done too much damage and the transplants died. I also waited until late this summer and collected what I thought maybe seeds sprouting from the vines but no luck. Can anyone identify this weed like vine I have in Nebraska and recommend transplant options? I thank you so much in advance for any help offered!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify Vine and best transplant options

Looks like Virginia creeper, Parthenocissus quinquefolia.

Here is a link that might be useful: MOBOT - Virginia creeper

o

Thankyou so much for your reply! Is there any more pics I can provide for a definite answer? If not, while I suspect many of these type of plants tolerate a transplant similiarly,can you offer advice on best practice to transplant repopulation in the new area?

o

Dig up the rootstocks and plant lengths of them at about the same depth you find them.
In Winter, when temps. are above freezing, roots may put out rootlets and you may get sprouts in Spring.

o

When you say "rootstocks" I've been lucky enough to find some odd horizontal running roots. At least I think they're roots. Are those what your referring to? I've transplanted these before with no luck but I think I may have damaged them too much digging them up.The ground here is VERY hard clay type. It's mid fall now, and the leaves have began to color and fall off. Is this a good time to try a transplant?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here