Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
benboy620

Trumpet Vine vs Bougainvillea

benboy620
12 years ago

I have decided to replace my bower vines that twined around the post of my arbor (south and west exposure - sun all day) with either pink trumpet or some purple/violet or red varietal of bougainvillea. I don't have experience with either vine and was wondering for those who have, pluses and minuses. I have a small bed area to plant ( 2 ft x 3ft) so will probably just put in 1 gallon plants and be patient) I have attached vinyl lattice to inside of posts to train and have the vine climb up, rather than twine around the posts like the bower did - I recently painted the arbor and don't want to have to cut all the way back when I need to repaint. Would like to do one plant on either side and have them both grow up to the make a canopy on the roof. The arbor is sturdy (4 x 4 posts sunk in to 3 ft deep concrete footings) but I have heard bougainvillea can get very large and heavy so that is a consideration. I'm willing to do pruning shaping of the bogie, but not a varietal that's really going to go wild and need a ton of cutting. On the other hand, I love the flowering of the bogie - there is one around the corner in red that climbs up a stucco wall and over an archway so I know they do well in my micro-climate. I would also consider morning glories as I think they are a fast grower, but believe they are poisonous for little kids.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH